Just ordered my 8 pullets from Meyer's! (Warning: Mini-Rant!)

ThePolishPrincess

Songster
11 Years
Dec 29, 2008
Orange County, New York
I was expecting them to come within a few weeks, but when they said my girls will be delivered on April 20th, I was like, "WHAT?"
barnie.gif
Now I have to wait even longer!
ep.gif

And to make things worse, I was planning to show them in June. Now I'm looking into showing 2 month old chicks, which I can tell probably won't turn out very well.

So, okay, I know that most of you think this is an outrage. "Someone's showing hatchery stock? How can this be?"

Okay, I know it sounds bad, but after doing my good BYC research, I asked my 4-H leader if I needed to get breeder quality chicks. She gave me this look and said that this wasn't a fancy poultry show, "This is the Orange County fair, Silly!" So, I'm guessing this is not APA judging, and that's good, because this will be my first time showing.

Still, I'm totally bummed. My flock of adults is too dirty and will most likely be molting when showing time comes on by (June). Even I have more sanity and class than to fawn over a chicken I KNOW doesn't stand a chance. Most people will have production breeds, as around here chickens are usually only bred for meat or eggs. I guess that's okay.

Alright, don't want to go off on too much of a rant here. Then it won't be about the chicks anymore.
roll.png
So here's what I'm getting:

-1 Golden Laced Polish
-1 Silver Laced Polish
-1 Buff Laced Polish
-1 Sultan
-1 Appenzeller Spitz
-1 EE
-1 Cuckoo Maran
-1 Sumatra

All pullets with a heating pad. They were 60.00, so I'm lucky I'm not paying.
wink.png
They'll be coming 8 days before my birthday, to top it off! And in April, I can insure better survival rates, being around 60 F here in the season.

I wanted a Salmon Favorolle, but they said they wouldn't have any until June/July. I just can't wait that long!

Well, with the more Rare Breeds like Polish etc showing a Hatchery is not horrible. But, they need to be at least 6 months old before you show.

I'll probably end up showing one of my other girls, them being old enough. I just hope I can round up enough choices to make a final decission in the future. Ahh, I'll worry about that in the future.

As far as disappointment goes, I really shouldn't be complaining. Pardon my rant.
hmm.png
We have 3 roosters already and 10 hens, all living in a small coop area. That's why we need only hens-and a small number of them at that.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom