Just ordered my first batch of meaties! Any suggestions?

Quote:
If you think you are going through alot of feed now, wait about 4 more weeks. But, it's fun and worth it too. Stick with the mills for your best value. If it's in a decorated pretty paper bag your probably paying too much. I pay about $7+ for 50lbs of grower/starter mash. Will

The last couple weeks you'll need a gas mask to go near them and a front end loader to shovel all the "poop". I have a batch 3 weeks old yesterday that are almost feathered out. They are all legs now, and love being outside.
I raised my last batch in the late spring early summer. NEVER AGAIN! October/November isn't so bad for smell.

Yeah my starter is about 11 dollars. It is killing me because I am on a low budget. I just wish I could sell some of these chicks, I really didn't think I would have trouble selling them. I don't know where there might be a mill around here, Ill have to google it.

Wish you were closer, I was able to sell some of mine once processed I made all my money back. I have 12 in the freezer, one for each month. They are smelly and will eat all day if you let them. After 3 weeks I fed 2xs per day. Move the coop a lot. They will smell! Delicious, so glad I did it.

Yeah, that would be my next question. Isn't it totally illegal to process them at your house and sell them? It seems like it would be. I mean, I wouldn't mind selling them to friends and family but I wouldn't wanna go any further if it were illegal. I have 60 birds and they are about a week and a half and they have eaten almost 50 pounds of feed already! I think they waste a lot too but I can't keep up with them eating like that especially when they start eating more. Oh yeah, and I ordered them straight run and I'm pretty sure I got almost all girls, if wing development matters. Why do they suggest processing the girls earlier?

Best to check out the processing thing. You don't want the USDA showing up on your door by word of mouth. A food inspector saw a pig roast poster for a youth fund raiser in our area that had been held for years and closed it down the day before. With the USDA there is no asking for forgiveness it is cut and dried (no pun intended). I fed mine once in the morning and once at night. Takke to food away at night. Custom feed around here is cheaper than perpackaged and they bag it. Check for grain elevators, coops, feed stores when you do the internet search. You can also check for dealers of livestock products and may be able to track down a grain mill.

I checked into some local grain mills and am waiting to hear back from them. I hope that I can get some kind of deal. It really stinks though because I will probably not have enough money to get any BULK deal. Hopefully I can figure out a way though. If I take the food at night, will they still grow quickly enough?

Oh, and lets say you sell the live bird and don't process it, how much do you charge? I feel like it would have to be quite expensive.

Quote:
It HAS to be the same price as a processed one, otherwise you aren't really selling live birds, then offering processing free. I charge $10 whether someone buys a live bird, a whole bird, or a cutup bird. Sure, I lose money in labor for the people who want them cut up, and I may eventually stop offering it, but it keeps it legit.

It kind of reminds me of the story we often get from college students. I'm a cop, and when we raid a party for illegal liquor sales, the kids ALWAYS say that they're simply selling red plastic cups, and the keg beer is free. However, that doesn't cut it- sure, it IS legal to buy a keg of beer and give it away to your friends, but the fact is, $5 isn't a legitimate price for a 3 cent red plastic cup, and if someone brings their own cup they NEVER get it filled for free. So, they're selling beer illegally. By contrast, I could look on Craigslist right now, and find plenty of people selling a full grown, 11 pound broiler chicken, or even a good reliable layer for at least CLOSE TO $10, and my labor doesn't have any inherent value.

Back
Top Bottom