Just ordered my first chicken hatching eggs!

FloorCandy

Crowing
Apr 15, 2020
I just ordered my first chicken hatching eggs. I’ve raised quail for meat and eggs for a couple years now, and with all the talk about food shortages I wanted to be sure I’ll have some chicken in the freezer.

I’m not a huge fan of quail meat, my son loves it, so do my dogs lol, and all of our egg needs are met by the quail, so meat birds seemed the most sensible, and also because I’m not sure how having them will go over with the family and neighbors. They have chickens a few houses down and it’s ok, but they are noisy and some neighbors do complain, however, if the meat birds become an issue we can cull them, and even if they aren’t big enough for human meals, I’m sure my dogs will happily eat them. Plus I hear you can adjust the feed and schedule to cull early for Cornish game hens if needed. I ordered just a small amount as a test for this year.

I’m building a large aviary for the quail. I had a greenhouse that is 12x8 feet, which was destroyed by snow, the frame still stands and I had meticulously laid hardware cloth under patio blocks, with the frame attached, in order to keep the greenhouse grounded in high winds. I’m wrapping the frame in hardware cloth, and plan for the internal space to be for quail, with a 12x6 “air lock” area attached to prevent flushing and escapes, and feed storage etc. I’m planning to put the meat birds in the airlock area since they supposedly aren’t very active and if they were to escape they shouldn’t be able to fly over the fence, and make me hike thru the woods to find them.

I’ve read they don’t roost due to their size, I have a small wooden prefab coop 3.5x5or6, they can walk in from the ground level, (not raised), and some bins with entry holes etc that they can use to sleep in, would they use them or am I better to just put a tarp over the whole thing because they will lay down wherever like quail? I also have a quail pen I made from a folding table and hardware cloth, which I can put inside for shade and rain protection, and they could walk in and out with no ramps or jumping.

I know it isn’t a huge deal since they won’t even be with us that long, but I’d like them to be as happy as possible and if I put the coop in and they don’t use it, I will need to break it to remove it once I have the sides and doors attached to the frame (ship in a bottle). If all goes well I will probably build a separate space for the quail, and next year use the whole area for meat birds in the summer.

I think the tarp idea would work better, but I'd use the deep litter method with meat birds. It is good that you are planning ahead. One key to a successful hatch with shipped eggs is to inquire how they are packaged. I've had eggs shipped to me in the past with the seller using store egg cartons. Those eggs came broken and a mess. Others have just not used adequate padding or the wrong shipping materials. Eggs should be shipped using foam egg inserts or individually wrapped in bubble wrap with a packing material to hold the eggs in place. My last egg order came individually wrapped, but not held in place so the eggs were free to bounce around. Two boxes; one was completely ruined and the other hatching today-100% need assist in hatching. So ask how your eggs will be packaged and shipped.

We meet again lol.
I purchased my first discount Cornish chick at TSC last year and haven't looked back. I prefer the chicken meat and the quantity you get for work put in compared to the quails.
I might have missed it but did you say what breed eggs you ordered, I've not seen many meat bird eggs for sale just chicks. If they are Cornish in my experience you don't have to worry about them moving anywhere but to the food bowel quickly. Complete opposite of the quail who split at the first chance.

We meet again lol.
I purchased my first discount Cornish chick at TSC last year and haven't looked back. I prefer the chicken meat and the quantity you get for work put in compared to the quails.
I might have missed it but did you say what breed eggs you ordered, I've not seen many meat bird eggs for sale just chicks. If they are Cornish in my experience you don't have to worry about them moving anywhere but to the food bowel quickly. Complete opposite of the quail who split at the first chance.
Hey hey! They are Cornish x ordered from purely poultry.
I think the tarp idea would work better, but I'd use the deep litter method with meat birds. It is good that you are planning ahead. One key to a successful hatch with shipped eggs is to inquire how they are packaged. I've had eggs shipped to me in the past with the seller using store egg cartons. Those eggs came broken and a mess. Others have just not used adequate padding or the wrong shipping materials. Eggs should be shipped using foam egg inserts or individually wrapped in bubble wrap with a packing material to hold the eggs in place. My last egg order came individually wrapped, but not held in place so the eggs were free to bounce around. Two boxes; one was completely ruined and the other hatching today-100% need assist in hatching. So ask how your eggs will be packaged and shipped.
These are from purely poultry, so im assuming they are coming in foam, most eggs I’ve ordered from professional hatcheries have come in foam.

Well, I received the eggs several weeks ago, and egg goop was oozing from the box. When I opened it, 5 eggs were smashed. The rep at purely poultry was very nice and issued me a tentative credit for the 5 eggs, she told me to see how the rest do and they can increase the credit.

Fast forward, the eggs have hatched, I have a couple extra days to be sure, and I candled the remaining eggs. I only hatched 3 chicks, 2 had development and quit and the rest didn’t develop, probably because they all had bubbly and moving air sacs. They definitely had a rough journey. I contacted PP again, and they don’t have any more eggs to ship, so I received a refund. I’m pretty bummed and I’ve tried all over to get more eggs, with no luck.

I have midget white turkey eggs incubating now, none were broken, but many air sacs were moving.

I did let the eggs rest for a day, then I put them in the incubator but didn’t turn the first day to hopefully help the eggs heal or strengthen, the breeder who sold me my first eggs told me to do that when I received shaken up eggs, and I had a very good hatch rate.

Fingers crossed for my turkeys.

This is not the correct thread for this subject try reposting on hatching and incubating

This is not the correct thread for this subject try reposting on hatching and incubating
This was an update to my original post of getting my first meat birds. Since my turkeys are also meat birds I thought others who might have read the original might be interested in my other meatbirds. I’m not certain what the issue is.

This was an update to my original post of getting my first meat birds. Since my turkeys are also meat birds I thought others who might have read the original might be interested in my other meatbirds. I’m not certain what the issue is.
Okay no issue I just got super confused I thought you were on the unanswered threads area and thought you would get more replies if you had it in the correct thread. Sorry I don't know what happened I must have been randomly clicking things and lost were I was going. Lol🤔😑

I used to order hatching eggs when I first started, but my hatch rates were terrible. I found out latter that I could order live chicks and they would send them to my local post office for pick up. At Murray McMurray Hatchery there is free shipping for minimum 15 chicks. This worked out better for me as they all arrived alive and vaccinated.

It was much cheaper to order chicks than to fail with air displacement eggs.

Back
Top Bottom