Just ordered my poultry nipples! :D And have a question.

kfisher

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 18, 2011
Navarre
Now I can set up my auto waters! And stop having to fill my waters a dozen times a day since its only June and already 100 degrees here! But...
Do they just know to drink from there? Do I need to show them the nipples some how? I will be setting one up in the coop outside for my big girls (7 week olds) and one in the brooder for my babies (couple day olds).

Last edited:
Adult birds can usually find it with no problem but babies sometimes have trouble. I personally think something like this is better for chicks so they can drink freely and easily

62744_chickcup.jpg

I am new to all of this myself but our chicks are only about 6 days old and they went straight for the water nipples and once they found out water was in there....watch out
celebrate.gif
I have seen some posts say they are attracted to the red color on the nipples so not sure if that is why or because it is shiny (since they love to peck at my ring too) Once one did it then all 3 of them did it. Was awesome and no more poopy messy water. I have red that you can tap their beaks on it too that may help.

Good luck
jumpy.gif

All my chicks start out on nipples and use only nipples. The only time I use a water bowl is if they were shipped. I then like to give them about an hour with open water to make sure they are hydrated and healthy enough to reach for the nipples.

On day old chicks the nipple drinker stem (what they peck at) should be at eye level. They will find it without problem. If you feel you must do something you can brush the drinker stem so a small droplet of water forms on the end of the stem. This will be enough to attract a bird or two and that will be all you need to do. They will all have it figured out within minutes.

There are nearly 10 Billion meat type chickens and around 350 Million egg type chickens produced in the US a year. The percentage of them that do not drink out of a nipple drinker is so far to the right of the decimal point it can hardly be found. This is also pretey much the case the world over.

The efficiencey of the poultry industry and the remarkable production results are a clear indication that all these birds are not dehydrated in any way.

If one feels uncomfortable about nipple drinkers as a good husbandry practice for pet chickens then they should not use them. But remember that the only reason to use a pool of water for them to drink from is to make the caretaker feel better. The evidence is clear that the chickens (as pets or as food animals) are better off drinking from a nipple.

Back
Top Bottom