Just ordered new chicks

chickenboy

In the Brooder
12 Years
Mar 12, 2007
Woolwich,ME
I've ordered 4 golden sebright st. run, 3 rir pullets, 3 buff orp pullets and 4 EE's 3 pullets 1 roo. I ordered them from ideal, they're supposed to come on 5/7/08. I just wanted to know some of the qualities about these breeds.

Thank You

I don't really know personally, except for the ees. I have 3 ee pullets right now and they are about 2 wks old. I heard BOs are really sweet and I read that sebrights can be flighty and skittish.

My ees are really nice so far, they don't often come up to me, but they can be sweet when I pick them up.

Quote:
You ordered a good variety of chicks! And from a good hatchery!
cool.png

Here is some info:

Golden Sebright Bantams have an alert, stylish, well-balanced appearance. The tails are full and well expanded while the large wings are hung low. Sebrights are the only breed that has males which are hen-feathered, which is the result of the action of the autosomal dominant sex-limited hen-feathered gene (Hf). The males do not have pointed hackle, saddle or tail sex feathers. All of the surface plumage is golden bay laced with a narrow edging of lustrous black.

GoldenSebrightBantamfemale.jpg

GoldenSebrightBantammale.jpg

Rhose Island Reds, a distinct characteristic of this breed is their horizontal, oblong body, which is deep, broad and long, sometimes described as "brick shaped". They are an excellent dual-purpose bird that efficiently produces large brown eggs. From the time they are chicks until maturity they may have white on the wing tips, but when they are fully matured they should not have any white feathers.

300px-Rhode_Island_Red.jpg

Buff Orpingtons, which have rich golden buff plumage are a popular brown egg dual-purpose variety and are sometimes called "Big Buffs". Because they are loosely feathered, they appear to be much heavier than their true weights. The feathers are broad and smooth fitting on the deep body of this breed. They have a quiet disposition, make excellent mothers and are one of the most broody of all standard breeds
buff_orpington_hen.jpg

Ameraucanas, known as the "Easter Eggger" (EE's) , are a multicolored breed. They have beards, muffs and a normal tail with a tail head. Amweraucanas are excellent, efficient producers of large eggs of many colors and shades including blue and green.

Penny-Americaunas2.JPG

Hope this helps!

big_smile.png

Wow, YoungChickenOwner, you know your chickens!

Thanks so much for the descriptions and amazing photos. We have 3 1-week old (as of today) chicks and I've been trying to figure out what they are. From the looks of various photos, I think one is an EE but not sure about the other 2. They both have similiar colored wing feathers but one is more reddish and the other is a lighter yellow.

Have any ideas?

DSC03996.jpg

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom