Just ordered the bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by They Call Me Pete, Jan 20, 2010.

1. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Just ordered Hova Bator 1588 with turner [​IMG] [​IMG]. More than I was looking to spend but went with the best I could afford. Have been collecting eggs all week and by the time it shows up should have 2 dozen to incubate. My roo's feet haven't hit the ground in days [​IMG]

2. 1mommahen

1mommahen Love My Cluckin' Coop

Mar 20, 2008
    NJ
    You know you can fit another doz. and a half in there don't you? Just sayin'! [​IMG]

3. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I have one and love it. If need be, I put a piece of bubble wrap loosely over the top, if I'm getting room fluxuations that effect the bator.

4. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Congratulations! Have fun hatching those eggs... it IS addictive, ya know? [​IMG]

5. They Call Me Pete

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Where's everyone keep your bator ?? I'm thinking my cellar because I heat with a woodstove and I get temps at night between 60-64 unless I get up and stoke the stove. My cellar is a constant 50 so I'm thinking a constant lower is better.

It's very addicting as my wife will tell you. She says all I do is surf chicken/farm stuff on the internet. Hey when ya grow up on a pheasant farm what do ya expect. It's in my blood as I tell her. Although I'll never reach the 25k+ pheasant farm my uncle has.

6. Bunnylady

Bunnylady POOF Goes the Pooka

Nov 27, 2009
    Wilmington, NC
    Quote:My husband would make some crack like, "Hey, talking about chicks online is better than talking to chicks online, isn't it? What's she complaining about?"[​IMG]

Happy hatching!

7. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    It is addicting, too true.

I have a 1588 and I like it. It maintains a nice steady temp, even with fluctuating room temps.

However, everyone did say that they are always perfectly calibrated from the factory, and mine was NOT. It was several degrees too high and I had a lousy hatch until I turned it down.

So it will probably be fine but just do check the temp. Nothing is always perfect, right?

Catherine

8. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Though my two 1588's are now used primarily for hatchers, I LOVE them. Ive ran them in my bedroom with fans runnign in the winter and in an unheated room during the winter. During the hot summer when the ac was off and no one home and still not a problem. No spiking on the temps, rock steady and great hatches. You can fit a nice 42 eggs in that puppy with the turner. Id recomend you run to walmart and pick up a digital hydromter that reads humidity and temp though. The themometer it comes with should be tossed in the trash. I also recomend you start saving up for a cabinet incubator, after a few hatches, 42 eggs at a time just wont cut it.

9. They Call Me Pete

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Quote:If I get too crazy with hatching I'll switch to quail. More profitable and more marketable to sportsman. Quail eggs I'm sure are just as good for you just need more for breakfast. You should see my uncles incubators. It would make ya drool. He raises pheasants for a living

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by