Just purchased a new incubator; need help NOT buying eggs!

Mom2Five

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 9, 2011
Stuarts Draft, VA
So I just purchased a new hovabator genesis 1588 online and I'm playing around with it to get used to the temp and humidity settings in various locations in my house. I am thinking I will hatch in my closet. I would like to get some silkies next spring but I keep looking at the auctions here for silkies that are available NOW. So I'm looking to you all for help in NOT buying any hatching eggs now. I really need to wait till spring cuz It's cold here and I don't want to keep them inside the house.

Oh, wait!
smiley_emoticons_doh.gif
What was I thinking? I'm asking Enablers Anonymous for help.

Nevermind.
confused.gif

I got 14 eggs shipped almost 4 weeks ago, and 5 of them hatched. They are silkies, and yes, I have to keep them in the house for a few weeks...I wouldnt have ordered the eggs at this time of the year, but they were Christmas present. So I had no choice but incubating them right off. They are the cutest little things
jumpy.gif

Last edited:
I really have no place to keep baby chicks inside the house. I have a small shed outside, but I don't know how steady the temp would be out there in the winter even with a heat lamp on the babies. I'm in VA and we've been having some pretty cold nights.

Okay, slowly step away from the new hovabator... that's it, slowly now, no sudden movements. Keep coming back, back, back.... that's it, good. Now I'm just going to take this new bator and hold it at my house for safe keeping and you can have it back after completion of incubators anonymous. Please note, your new bator will not be available for return to you for at least 21 days.

You're Welcome!
love.gif

Last edited:
WOW are you in the wrong place for help NOT to hatch
celebrate.gif
I wasnt going to hatch this winter and I now have silkies, wheaten Marans, Jubilee Orpingtons, Silver Sussex, and Araucanas ......
lau.gif
Its in your blood once you get the bator theres no turning back.

I totally understand! Today I followed an add on Craigslist and got a new Hova Bator 1588 myself for $50. I'm itching to hatch chicks but I have to wait on that. My broody has a clutch anyways so I shouldn't complain. I was thinking of maybe hatching for folks in my area if there were any people who needed to hatch chicks but don't have an incubator.

*shrugs*

First I'm checking out the temps on it. It was no longer on factory settings so I reset it to it.

Bahahaha, you won't find any help here! I'm also in VA and I plan on hatching all winter long. I don't do the 95, 90, 85 weekly temp thing. I just move the peeps farther away from the heat lamp every few days. I get them out of the house and into a coop at 3 weeks. There they have a heat source at night. They are doing fine. When I move them to the run with the big girls I make sure they have a big girl to sleep with them at night for the extra heat. Happy hatching
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom