Just put my 7 week old flock out in the coop...babies are growing up!

LadwoodFarm

Chirping
11 Years
Jun 2, 2011
I guess I have to graduate to this message board since my chick-a-doodles are no longer in the brooder but out in the like big girls. I'm so nervous! 5 of them stayed up top on the roosting poles and huddled together. One of them immediately went downstairs and now I'm afraid she won't be able to get back up or maybe the others are bullying her! I know this particular bird can fly because she came fluttering out of the brooder box every time I opened it. So, please reassure me that she'll figure it out and she's just smarter than the others since she figured out where all the bugs and grass are!!!

94457_dscn2782.jpg

Last edited:
Just peeked inside the coop and the schizoid one managed to find her way upstairs! Everyone is safe and sound.....for now!

Last edited:
Yes what is the grey one...unique looking. All very pretty. Isn't it nice to have it so nice and new... if only it would stay that way. Nothing against your ability to keep it clean as you go but sometimes the poop once dry is like cement and almost needs a pressure washer to get it off. Doesn't even look christened yet. Good luck with your new babys and there first night out in the big coop. They have graduated, yippie!
wee.gif

My 7 weekers are out too. Tonight is the first night they put themselves to bed on the perch! Up until now I've had to go out and stay with them at bedtime or they went to the coldest part of the coop and waited to come in for the night, because I'd been leaving them out in the day and bringing them in at night in a carrier. They got in the habit of the carrier! They learn really fast. Then it took almost a week to retrain them!

welcome-byc.gif

Aren't your birds beautiful? I love that grey one in the middle!
love.gif

I'm glad everyone's found their spot. Mine spent a few weeks sleeping on the lip of a cardboard box while the roosts lay empty beside them
lau.gif

Ive got my young-uns in the coop now too. I had to put an alluminum framed window screen as a divider in the roost to keep the older ones from shushing the younger ones off the roost. Each night I have one or two of the little ones balancing up on that window screen....amazing how they can roost on something so unstable. That Gray one is very cool....what kind is it??

Hi Everyone - thank you for the support! The girls did just fine in their first 24 hours in the new coop. Of course, now it's covered in poop, wow that was fast! So, the black/white/gray one in the above picture is a Dark Brahma, but our Americana/EE is the real looker of the bunch, she's the one with the tan/red head and grey/blue backside below. So pretty - and they are all super friendly!
94457_dscn2789.jpg

I have to disagree...that brahma is the prettiest little thing!!! Love the colors and her sweet little head!!!

Honey

So pretty-We have an EE hen with a red head and blue bum just like that-and a black&white (EE as well) we just let them (along with their 8 brooder mates) in with the big girls (6 red stars 3 months old)-last week-after a nervous couple of days my DD 8yo says they are "breaking segregation" (she loves to use big words)
They are now mixing it up on the perch at night-maybe I'll get pictures soon

Our flock-6 red stars, 3 black sex links, 3 buff orphingtons, 4 EEs and one pet RIR roo who is living dangerously these last couple of days!

Back
Top Bottom