Just received chicks in the mail, need advice on two not eating.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sjisty, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Sjisty

Sjisty Scribe of Brahmalot

May 18, 2009
    Brooksville
    I received 9 chicks in the mail today. It looks like they range from a few days old to a couple of weeks. One was DOA. The rest all drank water with sugar and chick saver in it as soon as I put them in the brooder. The four oldest are doing fine. Of the four youngest, two are eating and drinking but two are just huddled under the lamp with eyes shut and crops empty.

These are the first chicks I have ever received. What should I do for the two littlest guys?

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    With them still under the heat lamp, keep dipping their beaks into the electrolyte water. Make sure the heat is 90 degrees under there if they are huddling. With such a small order of chicks they may have gotten cold-stressed in shipping. Hope they get better.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    They're probably stressed out from shipping. Keep giving them vitamin/electrolyte water; if they won't drink on their own, dip their beaks into it. Make sure that they're warm enough--they should be in about 90 degree Fahrenheit heat at this age. Perhaps entice them to eat by moistening their feed (chickens of all ages love this) or giving scrambled/hard-boiled eggs, applesauce, bread, etc. Hopefully, they begin eating properly soon.

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    X2. Just keep them hydrated, and try to encourage them to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by