Just rescued some more Battery Hens *pics*

DUMB QUESTION:

How do you GET those chickens? I mean... do you go to one of those huge egg producers and offer to buy their older gals or something? I've searched these forums and cannot find information on this. I would like to rescue some farm animals - and hens! Forgive my ignorance.
Not a dumb question at all! :)

Where abouts are you? UK or USA?
If you are in the UK I might be able to help of you tell me where abouts you live.

If you are in the USA, then I can't be as much help because they are harder to get over there. You could do a quick google search to see if there is any chickens rescues near you, you can also find out a egg company and contact them and ask if you could buy some of their girls when they are ready to go. You could try and find some companys by looking on the inside of a caged egg box to see if there is any contact details.

Hi!

You're right is is very hard to find hen rescues around the USA. There are some farm sanctuaries, but they are few and far between.

I am in Central NC and have struck up a deal with a local farmer who I "buy" his spent hens from prior to slaughter (then place them into homes of local backyard flock owners). The hens are only about 2 years old and make fantastic backyard pets... especially knowing where they come from they're extra grateful. It's not easy finding a farmer to sell you hens. Of course he always gives me the "pick of the litter" so it doesn't look as bad on him. But a life is a life, and I will save as many as I can. The key is to build a relationship with the farmer, don't judge or accuse. Remember it's all about the birds...

If you're interested in helping start something up in your area, please personal message me with your contact info. I'm happy to help!

Hi!

You're right is is very hard to find hen rescues around the USA. There are some farm sanctuaries, but they are few and far between.

I am in Central NC and have struck up a deal with a local farmer who I "buy" his spent hens from prior to slaughter (then place them into homes of local backyard flock owners). The hens are only about 2 years old and make fantastic backyard pets... especially knowing where they come from they're extra grateful. It's not easy finding a farmer to sell you hens. Of course he always gives me the "pick of the litter" so it doesn't look as bad on him. But a life is a life, and I will save as many as I can. The key is to build a relationship with the farmer, don't judge or accuse. Remember it's all about the birds...

If you're interested in helping start something up in your area, please personal message me with your contact info. I'm happy to help!
I don't think I could pick, I would feel bad leaving the others! The hens are probably 18 month old because thats when all egg industry's get rid of them. If I had to pick, I would choose all the baldies who looked like they have had a hard life!

Think it's about time I give a picture with Ruby in now!

Edwina tried to attack my chick today!! She ended up fighting with the mama so she could get at it but luckily the mother won! Such a naughty girl!

Where do you guys find battery hens? I'd love to rescue some, I mean, good layer, rescue a bird from being butchered, teach a bird there's such thing as grass... Be nice.. Haha... Bless y'all's hearts for rescuing them

ETA ;;
Just saw someone else asked this... I'm in Alaska, USA so this will be darn near impossible, but I know a friend who got us some barred rocks from a friend, they looked awful. May have to go and rescue hens when they're spent there, they aren't quite as bad as some companies are but there are over crowded, I gurrantee, so that may be my only chance.. Course round here, hard to find chickens who AREN'T Over crowded.

Last edited:
Where do you guys find battery hens? I'd love to rescue some, I mean, good layer, rescue a bird from being butchered, teach a bird there's such thing as grass... Be nice.. Haha... Bless y'all's hearts for rescuing them

ETA ;;
Just saw someone else asked this... I'm in Alaska, USA so this will be darn near impossible, but I know a friend who got us some barred rocks from a friend, they looked awful. May have to go and rescue hens when they're spent there, they aren't quite as bad as some companies are but there are over crowded, I gurrantee, so that may be my only chance.. Course round here, hard to find chickens who AREN'T Over crowded.
Do you have any commercial egg farms near you? Or even free range ones? They need rescued too! I have been inside a free range farm and believe me, they don't live a very good life.

Edwina looks ready to take the world on! So nice to see them enjoying their freedom. Mine have stopped laying and eat a lot , but I enjoy having them around.
I have a ex batt who is 7, So I don't get much eggs off her but I love her! Edwina has come so far, she is definitely one of my favouraites. After she has eaten, she walks up to me expecting me to clean her beak like another hen!

I have a ex batt who is 7, So I don't get much eggs off her but I love her! Edwina has come so far, she is definitely one of my favouraites. After she has eaten, she walks up to me expecting me to clean her beak like another hen!

Yes, my old "red" is about 7. She only stopped laying this summer. I started out with 4 and she is the last one. When they first came to inlet farm, they had never had the grass beneath their feet. For the first few weeks they wouldn't venture out of the coop. They had been debeaked and were dreadfully skinny. Now red does what she likes, when she likes. And I wouldn't have it any other way. I have plenty of laying hens, but there's only one " red ".

Back
Top Bottom