Just rescued young rooster respiratory problems?

Sherric

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Just rescued a young rooster his crowing sounds strange at the end I’m worried it could be respiratory problems would love some input at the end of the video sounds like he’s gasping for air.

Just rescued a young rooster his crowing sounds strange at the end I’m worried it could be respiratory problems would love some input at the end of the video sounds like he’s gasping for air.
If he is young (still a cockerel) it’s probably normal. When cocks first start to sexually mature, they need to learn to crow and can sometimes sound like teenage boys with cracking voices. One of our favorite things is hearing our young cockerels start to crow for the first time - it’s hilarious.
Things to look out for for a respiratory infection would include sneezing, bubbling eyes and general lethargy.

My cockerel makes kind of a weird sound after he crows too. It's like he's expended all the air he has and is gasping a little as he sucks air back in. Sometimes his crow sounds like he started it without a full breath. I tell him he's going off half cocked when he does that.

If he is young (still a cockerel) it’s probably normal. When cocks first start to sexually mature, they need to learn to crow and can sometimes sound like teenage boys with cracking voices. One of our favorite things is hearing our young cockerels start to crow for the first time - it’s hilarious.
Things to look out for for a respiratory infection would include sneezing, bubbling eyes and general lethargy.
Thank you so much, 8 months later and he still makes the same sound as a healthy happy rooster 😊

Back
Top Bottom