Just sad today

KDrake

Songster
Jun 27, 2018
Wyoming
We had to kill one of our roosters yesterday. He was our favorite and had such a personality! Unfortunately, he was too rough on the hens. Whipping them around, causing wounds. They would scream and hide from him when he came near. We just had 2 chicks hatch a week ago and he went in and starting going after them and mom. He also would attack our youngest son when he was close by.

Our oldest child is devastated. My husband and I are both sad. I hate this part of chicken owning.

Thanks for listening.

We had to kill one of our roosters yesterday. He was our favorite and had such a personality! Unfortunately, he was too rough on the hens. Whipping them around, causing wounds. They would scream and hide from him when he came near. We just had 2 chicks hatch a week ago and he went in and starting going after them and mom. He also would attack our youngest son when he was close by.

Our oldest child is devastated. My husband and I are both sad. I hate this part of chicken owning.

Thanks for listening.

I'm sorry for your grief. What brave people you are for practicing even the most unpleasant task of chicken keeping.

:hugs
yeah, animal husbandry isn't always fluffy and cute. You did what was best for your situation. I'm not a fan of roosters unless you need them for breeding because I never owned a nice sweet rooster like I keep hearing about.:confused: You can now enjoy the rest of your day knowing your flock is at peace without the stress of roo hormone rage!

AArt says, "Roosters are where the romance of chickens meet reality." That is the truth. Bobbie says, "They had a good life, and one bad moment." I say, "when the darling becomes the nightmare, you have to do something, wishing will not make chickens nice."

Do not feel guilty, not your fault. Some roosters are good roosters, and some are not. In smaller flocks, in smaller areas it is much harder to raise a good rooster.

But another reality is, today when you go to the coop, you are going to see a different flock, one that is relaxed and calm and happy. A mean, chasing, violent rooster is very hard to live with for the OTHER birds in the flock. Always solve for peace in the flock. The first cull is the hardest, and a person does feel terrible until you really start to pay attention to how much nicer it is for people and chickens that he is gone. Your son is going to enjoy chickens again, not be afraid.

You won't put up with a bad one that long again. It is tough, but it really is better.

Mrs K

Ive had roosters like that and unfortunately thats what had to happen here, too. Don't feel bad about what you had to do with the rooster. You don't want that trait in your flock. As stated by others, your flock will now be more relaxed and not terrorized, traumatized, and/ or injured from a violent rooster. It's not easy but has to be done for the safety of the flock.

Thanks for listening.

I'm so sorry for your unfortunate chicken duty as well as the loss of your rooster.

I do not have any roosters and don't want any. I don't plan to incubate eggs for chicks. I'll buy my chicks when I need them.

Don't fault yourself for having to deal with Mr. Rooster.

I feel like the others do that you will find a happier flock and be able to enjoy them more. Your son will be happier when he doesn't get attacked while visiting the chickens.

Just remember the one thing you need to do is go out and enjoy your chickens. I'm sure they will be glad to see you and you them.

Back
Top Bottom