Just saying Hello!

BorealisChick71

In the Brooder
May 4, 2015
Willow, AK
Just joined BYC, after lurking around for a couple of weeks initially, checking out some of the fabulous information, coop ideas, and pictures! Figured I'd say "Hi!" to my fellow chicken enthusiasts!

My DH and I live about 70 miles north of Anchorage, Alaska, in what's known as the Mat-Su Valley, in a tiny little town called Willow. It's pretty quiet, and rather rural, and I love it. I finally convinced my DH that we should try our hand at raising chickens, he's never had any farm experience, had always been a "city boy", where as when I was young, my family had a rather diverse little farm in rural WI (it all started with the gateway livestock....chickens!...then we got rabbits, and ducks, and geese, and turkeys, and goats, and a cow! We also had a pretty extensive small garden that provided a plethora of vegetables, it was a great experience growing up knowing where your food really comes from.)

Finally got our little babies, just this past Monday! Ordered from Murray McMurray Hatchery, and as much as we were concerned with the whole, Friday ship date (did not realize they shipped that way until AFTER ordering), and knowing that they would be sitting in a post office all of Sunday, they arrived Monday morning, bright and early, and all healthy and alive!
woot.gif

Ordered 25, they gave us an extra free "rare/exotic" chick.....still haven't figured out which one it is
gig.gif
. I think it might be one of the two little silvery/grey/blue-ish sort of colored chicks, but totally not sure. Have identified most of the others, except those two, and a rather large buff one. Not sure if its a Buff Rock, or a Buff Orpington. I guess we'll find out eventually?
And here they all are, their first day home,
wee.gif
yesss.gif

after looking at this, I just realized how MUCH they've grown in the few days since we've gotten them!

Thanks! I think so too! They have been so much fun to sit and watch, I had forgotten how entertaining "Chick TV" can be! The first day we got them home, I unloaded them all from the box, got them drinking and eating, and then sat there and watched them till lunch time! Couldn't believe it had been that long, felt like 20 mins....okay...maybe an hour...tops!

Welcome to Backyard chickens. Chick TV has cable and satellite beaten spurs down. New shows every day, no reruns, NO cable or satellite bills.
celebrate.gif

Thanks so much for the welcome!
big_smile.png
BYC has already been an invaluable resource for information! Started with just looking around for coop ideas, but there is SO MUCH more to be found here!

Welcome to BYC! Please make yourself at home and we are here to help.

Oh chick TV is SOOO entertaining! I would sit and watch my chicks for hours! Congrats on your new arrivals! They are very cute! Good luck with them! Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Glad you joined the flock
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom