Just saying hi!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by MadAussieInUSA, Aug 22, 2008.

1. MadAussieInUSA

MadAussieInUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    Just thought I'd say hi. Stu from Australia, living in blue ridge in Virginia (Lexington). We are in the process of becoming backyard chicken herders. Well, we found out we can have chickens in our little town. Been doing a lot of research etc. We dont plan on getting any new fmaily members until after xmas, probably in jan/feb/march time. I dont think I want to do baby chickens as the dead of winter closes as the weather will soon turn to autum, and I'll need a few weeks to build a good weather capable coop..

Our plan was to run 3 or 4 australorps getting them as pullets, I dont think my wife or I can be home enough during the day from work give them the care such young chickens need if we got em as day olds.

We will see how things turn out.

Just saying hi is all [​IMG] from our neck of the woods.

-Stu

2. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Welcome to the board!!!!

3. EngieKisses

EngieKisses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2008
    Collinsville, Oklahoma
    [​IMG] Welcome! [​IMG]

4. Hangin Wit My Peeps

Hangin Wit My Peeps AutumnBreezeChickens.com

Apr 20, 2008
    Birnamwood, Wisconsin
    Day olds don't really need that much time from you. I had 12 and I took "care" of them once a day...changed their water twice (once in the am and once after dinner) and changed bedding once a week. Not much work to them at all. I did spend a lot of time with mine because I could but really if they have playmates they should be fine alone for the day. Welcome to the board...you will learn ALOT here! I love this place and it's addicting! I went from 6 chickens to getting 28-30 lol AND more in the works as soon as we can get the third coop built! We have the second one in the works now.

5. shay20

shay20 Shay's Flock of Fun

Jul 31, 2008
    in the wild, Mass
    welcome welcome welcome, [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. skyfires

skyfires Trying to hide

Jul 19, 2008
    The Ozarks of Arkansas
    Hello Stu!! [​IMG] You have found the right place !!! There are a load of wonderful people here, quick to answer all your questions, and very smart in the chicken world. I've learned a lot and still have more things to go!!! So head out and take a look around the site, They have done a great job with it!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. ronniega1

ronniega1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2008
    vidalia ga
    welcome to the group....i used to live in va beach....now i am in georgia and this spring started my backyard flock once more....got my first eggs laid today so eggxcited.....ronnie:jumpy

8. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Welcome guys...

I have many friends in Australia. Whereabouts are you from?

9. MadAussieInUSA

MadAussieInUSA Out Of The Brooder

Aug 22, 2008
    Thanks for the generous welcome.

@Chicabee19: I'm from the Springvale area in Victoria, just another suburb of Melbourne. Got family all over victoria + Queensland + Tasmania, plus family all over UK and now my wifes family (mennonite) all over the USA.

@Hangin: Thanks for the info, most of what I have read + researched said younguns needed a lot of daily attention regarding temperature etc.

10. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you are doing your research before getting your chickens. Don't know how you will be able to wait all those Lllllooooonnnnggggg months before getting your chickens. [​IMG]

Chicks really don't take much time, you just end up wanting to spend time with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by