Just set my first eggs ever! I MUST be crazy!

rilly10

Clover Field Farm
9 Years
May 18, 2010
Pottstown, PA
Hi everyone!

So I just set 7 mottled bantam cochin eggs in my brand new incubator. Not only is the incubator new, and is it my first try hatching eggs, but they were shipped! I bought 6, was shipped 8 and one was broken (which actually workedout because my Brinsea Mini Advance w. turner can only fit 7)!

I AM SOOOOO NERVOUS!!!!

So how did everyone else get through their first hatch? I hope I at least get 2 live chicks out of the deal ( and if I do with my luch they will be roos!!!!)!

Did anyone else set eggs today?

Thanks!

I was in your shoes 21 days ago. Plus, I am not really allowed to have chickens in my town! I bought a dozen eggs and ended up with 19. So far, one is hatched and a bunch more are thinking about it. This is a great forum for all of your questions. Is your incubator working out so far? Good luck.

I just bought that exact same incubator. DerbyChook and I are going to be hatching buddies later this month. So I'm subscribing to this topic thread. PLEASE keep us updated as to how it goes!!!

Right now, the incubator is sitting where it will be when I turn it on, and I've read the instruction sheets about four times. Plus, I checked an egg to confirm fertility (gave the egg to the cat) and was so thrilled I could actually see the bulls-eye! Gonna check a couple more in the next few days, from other pullets.

Good luck! I wanna know EVERYTHING! (I'm really hoping that unit is a "plug and play" easy-peasy thing to use.)

you brought a GREAT incub - Brinsea Mini Advance w. turner I purchased one back in feb and hatched 3 times already -

1 hatch - 6 or 6
2 hatch - 6 of 6
3rd hatch - 3 of 5
4th hatch incubating now - 4 of 6 or doing well.....

best of luck....

I have the same incubator - please remember to plug into a surge protector. My first hatch was fine but this one
(of course purchased more expensive eggs) I have had problems with temp spikes and I talked with Brinsea and the tech said to make sure that you bator is plugged into a surge protector. Duh.....I didn't think about it when it was not storm season...but also wish that the instructions mentioned to do that too! Just an FYI! Good Luck

My top will be getting shipped back for repairs - I am so sad!

Thanks so much for all of your help! So far so good (knock on wood) but I am only on the first day!
big_smile.png
One thing that I was suprised about (which thanks to another BYC member) I noticed was how fast the h20 resivoir is used up. If I try to follow the instructions and keep one side of the chamber full, I will need to top it off daily.

On another note...my hubby already thinks I'm crazy because he keeps catching me staring at the eggs that do nothing! AND IT'S ONLY DAY 1!!! LOL! Wait till they get close to hatching and he may kill me!

So I just candled last night and discarded 3 eggs with no development. The remaining 4 have embryos with lots of veins. How are everyone elses doing? I can't wait until they hatch!

I'm still dithering as to which eggs I should try to hatch: some of my flock's eggs, buy some from someone on BYC with eggs of the breed(s) I'd like to get, or make a dash to Trader Joe's and try some fertile eggs which wouldn't hurt my feelings if my first attempt at hatching was a bust.....

If some of my own didn't hatch, I'd be so sad. If some I bought didn't hatch, I'd be annoyed. If Trader Joe's fertile eggs didn't hatch, I wouldn't have anyone or anything to blame.

idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom