just set my first eggs! UPDATE 1 has hatched p2 Update he has died

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by scrapmom5, Oct 23, 2008.

1. scrapmom5

scrapmom5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I just got some EE eggs from siz8003. I had my bator (LG) up and running and after I verified the temp, I added my eggs. I am sooooo excited. Now what do I do? They are on an egg turner so I don't need to do that.

Do I really just watch and wait and pray and wait and watch some more and wait?

I am not very patient...Can we speed this up??? [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2008
  2. Lanissa86

Lanissa86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Now the waiting begins! Good luck on your hatch! Be sure to keep everyone updated on your candling and development. Can't wait to see those cute babies!

3. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    I plan on candeling at 8 days. What do I do between now and then? Is waiting my only option?

4. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    yepper you have to suffer right along with the rest of us impatient people

5. kodiakchicken

kodiakchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2008
    Kodiak, Alaska
    Yep, waiting and checking the temp and humidity and more waiting, then check the temp, check the humidity, wait some more. [​IMG]

I think we can all guess while some of the hardcore BYC'ers have so many other creative talents. They have to have something to do during the waiting!!!!

BTW, good luck waiting until day 8. I was going to wait until day 7, gave in on day 5. The teeny, tiny embryos were so totally cool!!! (heehee! I know I'm not helping, but I refuse to suffer alone!)

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Good luck !!!!! Hope you get lots of babies !!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Buckaroo

Buckaroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    Milton Florida
    Good luck with your hatch!!!

8. Bandana

Bandana Chillin' With My Peeps

Be sure to put on some sunglasses if you find yourself staring at your bator for long periods of time. [​IMG]

9. scrapmom5

Apr 21, 2008
    Utah
    Oh my gosh- I just candled (again) and saw three of the chicks moving around. I think only four of the 10 eggs are viable and three of those are moving around. We are on day 11. Only 10 days left. This is incredible.

What is even more amazing is that one of my BLRW started crowing yesterday. My first roo! Now if he will start getting his business done with all the girls that would be awesome. I hope my BLRW pullet starts laying. THey are only 22 weeks old. I guess I should hope my brahma who is 8 months old would start to lay. I have almost given up hope on her.

Oh well, I have a roo, 4 good eggs in the bator with three chicks moving around in three of those. I am sooo lucky.

By the way when do you crank the humidity in the bator?

10. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Its very fun !! On day 18 you up the hum (to about 65%) and stop turning. Then..... Sit on your hands and wait, wait and wait.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by