Just some background information.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Adrien515, Jun 26, 2016.

1. Adrien515

Adrien515 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2015
    Cleveland, Tx
    Well, it all started several years ago. I moved to Texas. My mom was a animal lover, always adopting and boarding animals ranging from cats to dogs to owls to snakes. Her specialty is reptiles. So of course when we moved to a farm in Texas, I was saddened. I planed on becoming a reptile expert. I couldn't wait to go out and buy a green boa, and aim again the anguish I had when the first animal my mother bought was some measly chickens. Were they to eat? Nope. No fried chicken for me. We got them for eggs plain boring eggs. And I was the one to care for them. It sucked in all honesty. Then one day my moms old friend heard I took care of the chickens, and knew I loved animals. She said she couldn't keep her 3 silkies anymore, and she gave them to me. I couldn't mention how I hated chickens. So we went to get them, and I was awestruck at what I saw. The fluffiest things I'd ever seen, and I took them with glee. I built them their own cage by hand, and put them in there. I spent hundreds of my on money just buying them special treats and things they didn't need. Ever since then I've fallen in love and learned much. I have silkies in a variety of colors, a diverse bunch of sizzles and frizzles, japenese bantams and other bantams I've yet to identify. I've had Sultans and Cochins, and even had a perfectly healthy frazzle. over the three years, I've fallen in love with watching their behavior, and learning stuff. I've seen many killed, I have to admit. I feel terrible with how poor I took care of them at first, over 60 chicks must not have made it to adulthood. I've accidently killed a few, broken a chicks toe, scissored beaks, and forgotten to lick them up resulting in raccoons or other creatures killing them. I once forgot to do the annual wing clipping, and my beloved show quality silki flew out the coop where my dog ripped it's head off. I've not been the best owner, but I'm still learning. I'm still young, recently turned a teen. I used to get a lot of advice from this website so I dicided to create my own account. Chickens have changed me from reptile fanatic to chicken killer-but-lover

1 person likes this.
  2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to Backyard chickens.

3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to our community. Great to have you hear and thanks for the introduction. I've certainly made possibly more than my fair share of mistakes, but as long as we learn from them, its ok. Please make yourself at home here with us.

Best wishes
    CT

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I too agree that I've made my fair share of mistakes too, it seems a fact of life. Wishing you the very best of luck and enjoy BYC :frow

5. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    [​IMG]

6. Athaid

Athaid Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi, Welcome to BYC :welcome I'm sure you're gonna love it here, lots of friendly chicken crazy peeps on here. You can find me rambling just about everywhere so If you see me say hi ;) Cya around.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined us! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by