just some feed questions

chickens123432

In the Brooder
Feb 22, 2015
i currently feed my chickens layer feed and scratch grains. but if i started feeding them scraps could i just feed them scraps and scratch grains and cut the layer feed?

Scratch grains will have maybe 10% protein in them.

Layer feed is 16% or so.

It is best to not decrease their protein too much or they won't lay eggs for you. Feather regrowth and egglaying require protein.

If you are a butcher and are giving them huge amounts of meat, or have a cow and are clabbering the milk for them (raw milk), that is different. But they do need protein.

I hope this helps!

You can cut their nutrition if you want, but they won't lay as well and won't be as healthy.

I like to feed a 'flock raiser' 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and all molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer.

Everyone has their own opinions on feeding and the 'right' way to do it. You could look into fermented feed, sprouting grains, and mealworm farms if you're looking to reduce feed costs. Just take into account a chickens nutritional requirements and do what works for you and your flock. Good luck
1f60a.png

Back
Top Bottom