Just some grumbles

Callender Girl

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Sep 18, 2018
North Central Iowa
I was prepared for a productive day of trying to tame the jungle that is my acreage. The universe took issue with my plans.

My goose is limping and I will have to go to town to get Baytril. This will make EVERYONE unhappy because poultry has to be penned up, and the dogs will be kenneled.

I decided to jump on the riding mower and thought that the rescue dog who ALWAYS makes a mess in the house when he hears the mower might get along better if he was outside and could discover that it's not going to hurt him. George is blind and demonstrates anxiety by running in endless circles -- which he did outside for as long as I was on the mower. I jumped off every so often to try to comfort him. I did not get the lawn finished. I was trying to trim around trees with the electric mower; both batteries went dead.

One time I should have jumped off the rider but didn't, I struck a tree branch with my forehead. When I go to town, I will have a large red welt across the upper third of my face. Maybe I can wear a hat with a big brim? Of course, it's overcast so that might seem a bit odd.

My broody Cochin refuses to give up her quest, even though I lock up the coop during the day. Ursula now sits on top of the coop and growls at me. I'm considering letting her have some runner duck eggs to hatch, since I found out yesterday the only breeder I've ever used is moving and getting out of the duck business.

I "saved" my beautiful ranunculus plants by taking them out of their little pots and putting them in a flower bed. I guess I didn't know rabbits LOVE ranunculus. Good thing I put a marker in the ground so I know where the flowers had been.

In a few minutes, I am going to round up unhappy birds, kennel disappointed dogs, change into respectable clothes and head to town. I am hoping for an uneventful trip. Mostly just little irritations, I know. But once I get back home, I may just finish out the day on the sofa. I will let the universe win -- but just for today.

I would like to additionally say that when I returned from town with the Baytril for the goose, I immediately came inside to let the dogs out.

As I was taking them to the yard, I was surprised to see my sheep standing by the garage. Somehow, they had knocked the gate to their pen off its hinges. Fortunately, I didn't have to worry about rounding them up because they are terrified of dogs, and my crazy terrier went berserk. The sheep ran back into their pen, and while I was struggling to put the gate back up, my other dog enjoyed a hearty helping of goose poo.

Last edited:
I know how you feel. I had plans for a trying a new recipe for dinner, watching a new movie and playing with my newly hatched chicks. Instead dinner is an hour and a half late, didn’t set properly and is too spicy. The movie wouldn’t play and one of my chickens died and I had to go bury her while dinner was cooking instead of playing with chicks.
So my one night to de-stress just ended up stressing me out more.

Back
Top Bottom