Just started a batch

Mister B

Songster
8 Years
Feb 7, 2013
NW Alabama
I just started a batch of eggs today. This is my first batch. I built my incubator for less than $20 (to me). I had a big Igloo cooler that has been in the shed for several years without use. I cut out the top and put a pane of glass from a picture frame in it (Dollar Tree, $1). I bought a water heater thermostat ($8.47 Lowes). I had a receptacle box, a lamp fixture, a computer fan and a 12v wall wart. I cut a hole in the side of the receptacle box and drilled some holes in the other side. I also drilled a hole in one end to put the screw end of the lamp fixture in. I wired up the lamp and thermostat. I put the thermostat in so that I could adjust the temp and the temperature sensing part was where the fan would draw air across it. Then I attached the fan to the box so it draws air through the box. Then I screwed the box to the side, about half way up. I had some screen left over from another project and I made a barrier between the light and the eggs using it. I bought a thermometer/hygrometer combo ($7.99 local store I saw the same sort of thing at Walmart for 8.97) and attached it to the side of the box. I put my eggs (18) in an egg carton and then put a dowel in the bottom of the incubator. I can tilt the egg carton 2-3 times per day by just reaching in. I want to make a device that will turn the eggs automatically. I'm looking around for a slow moving motor.

How do you keep the humidity up? I can only get it to 60% max. It usually hovers around 55%. The temperature is holding steady at 100.

Just read more. I may be making it too humid. I will take out one of the water jars. maybe the small one. I like the heat sink of the large one. Pictures later.....

This is my thermostat setup. You can see the positioning of the thermostat in the recep box. On the right are the small holes (about 9) I drilled in one side. Under the fan on the right is a large hole (about the size of the fan. The thermostat is centered to allow air to be pulled across it. It has held 100F steady all day yesterday and last night. I am playing around with the humidity. I took out one of the jars and it dropped to 35%. This morning I put the small jar with wick back, but removed the wick from the larger jar. I also think the jars of water are helping to moderate the temperature.

Tuesday, I had to bring the setup inside my house. When I checked on it after school, my temp was up to 104! It was really hot in my workshed, so I took the whole thing inside. Do you think I killed them? Anyway, the eggs have been at a constant 100F with humidity around 55-60%. I plan to candle this Sunday which will be 7 days. What should I see?

Back
Top Bottom