just started building our first coopi

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chickenmamalp, Nov 8, 2009.

1. chickenmamalp

chickenmamalp Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi everyone
    We are in the process of building our first coop and would appreciate any suggestions so we have no regrets later!!
    One of my 1st questions is do we build a floor or not!

2. Mr. Peepers

Mr. Peepers Out Of The Brooder

Sep 7, 2009
    Definitely build a floor. Even better, build a raised floor. A good raised floor will help to prevent problems with predators. vermin, and moisture.

3. grandmaof5

grandmaof5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2009
    Central N.S.
    ...and it will give the chickens more 'run' space, too.

4. woodenart

woodenart Out Of The Brooder

Definately raise the floor, a) warmer b) no vermin will set up home underneath c) additional run space d) better height for cleaning

Mark.

5. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    a floor is great, if you have the option. my set up did not allow for it in the new coop and we are fine without it.

6. chickenshagg

chickenshagg THE ALPHA ROO

Apr 18, 2009
    St. Charles, MO
    Build it BIGGER than you think you need

7. biddyboo

biddyboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Ashland, Missouri
    We raised our coop 3' which gives our hens a nice sheltered space underneath for shade, a bit of dry on rainy days, and a place to put their feeder trough out of the rain. That height makes it much easier for me to clean their pine shavings litter than if the coop were on the ground and I were bending over, trying to "get in" to clean. (Ours measures 6 x 4.) Each 4' end wall is a fully opening door which provide cross ventilation, giving wonderful cooling breezes on most days and helping to keep the coop aired out so bad odors do not accumulate. Also, we built four nest boxes extending outside one length of the coop, and made a lifting "roof" over the nest boxes to make egg gathering easy. I'm amazed every night that our flock of 15 hens fit so snugly in their little coop. Once they've gone to roost, the coop looks like it could support another 15 hens easily! ~G

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  8. WilczenskiFarm

WilczenskiFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Pembroke, MA
    We laid vinyl flooring down... soooo easy to clean!!!!!!

9. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    Only Advice I have is keep on the BYC everyday and read the coop section,it is the biggest coop dictionary in the world [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by