Just Started Laying, But 1 Egg A Week

mrdruids

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
my black star poppycock started laying 3 weeks ago, thats when we got our first egg. but shes really slacking on the rent, we've only had 3 eggs total from her. shes friendly happy and healthy but whats goin on??? my leghorn just started laying a little over a month ago same diet same everything and shes only taken 1 day off! my three 1yr girls im not worried about they're on strike but i know they'll start up again soon. is whats going on with poppycock common? are her girly parts just slow?

Is there any possibility that she could be hiding them? or that she may be under some stress the others aren't? I'm new to chickens, but mine just started laying a few months ago and I have already experienced and resolved a similar problem. We had some guineas that started laying under a pile of brush so the chickens thought that was a good idea too. We removed the brush and things returned to normal - for a few days. The guineas were harassing the chickens worse than we realized, but the last straw was when I caught them keeping my hens out of the nesting boxes (explaining the scrambled eggs on the roosts). We got rid of the guineas on Sunday and our egg production has gone from 3-4 eggs a day to 6 a day, and we only have 7 hens!

Good luck figuring out what's up with your baby
smile.png

Quote:
ive looked everywhere she can go and tore up all the brush she could be hiding them in, my leghorn tried pulling that a while ago but shes back to laying in the nest. the only stress shes under is 1- being on the bottom of the pecking order and 2- her lifes ambition is to come in the house so she'll sit at the sliding glass door and watch us in the kitchen... shes kinda like a puppy, she also follows me everywhere
smile.png

lol. I can just picture that! The guineas I just got rid of would sneak out of the fenced in lot across the street and line up against our chain link fence and squawk at me to let them in occasionally when I was in the backyard. The only other things I can think of is maybe she is more sensitive to weather changes or something is eating her eggs? IDK, since she seems healthy otherwise, and is still laying sometimes, there goes all of my limited knowledge on the subject. We have 7 hens and I don't really know who started first or who does what when, but they are all the same age: 4 black australorps and 3 barred rocks. We only got 2 a day for the first few weeks, then 3-4 for the next few, and now 6 the last few days. I've read that different breeds are more prolific than others, and it seems that production is picking up at our coop. I still suspect one hen is a non-layer, but don't tell my husband, lol.

well you guys make me feel a bit better, truth be told i could live with her never being an egg machine cause i love her so much. im just a worry wort
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom