Just starting in the backyard

BradandJoan

Hatching
7 Years
Jan 11, 2013
I have an 8'x12' shed that I don't really use any longer. I've been getting my eggs from a friend who has raised his own chickens and eggs for years. He's my former father-in-law so I would feel somewhat imposing to get the whole scoop from me (though he's a great guy). My wife and I need to start converting the shed, getting the chicks and go for it. I have no idea where to begin. Need all the help I can get - Thanks!

Welcome to BYC.
frow.gif

Well the first step is to make that shed into a coop. This is a simple task. Put in roosts about 2-3 ft off the ground, mine are about 3 ft, add nest areas, could be a 5 gallon bucket on its side, or a flat backed bucket, you can get them at orschelens, sitting up and filled with stray. 1 nest per 4 hens is enough. I converted the bottom of an entertainment center into 4 nesting boxes and one of the cat litter boxes with the top that fits on it.
Feeders- I made some out of an old pvc pipe with a slot cut in the top, soup cans shoved in the ends and screwed in and put on legs. Waterers- I bought gallon waterers at orschelens for $5
Straw for litter but you can use wood chips or dried leaves
If you are starting from chicks you will need to set up a brooder for them inside with a heat lamp and a small water dish with marbles in the bottom so they dont drown and a small feeder.
What am I missing?? Or do you have any questions?

Back
Top Bottom