Just starting out---want to do it *right*!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by kellyinsc, Jan 9, 2010.

1. kellyinsc

kellyinsc Out Of The Brooder

Jan 9, 2010
    Hi, all!

I'm just starting in chickens. I'm looking for show quality started pullets. I'm also looking for a mentor or two, so that I can learn as much as possible.

I live in Columbia, SC, but I am willing to travel to pick up healthy, sound girls.

I'm looking for 6 Wyandottes (assorted colors), 2 Speckled Sussex, and 2 wheaten Marans. I'll also need 2 Ameraucanas for a friend.

Thanks to the BYC *Coop* pages, we've built a beautiful hen house with a large run, completely predator proof----I HOPE!

I've shown horses, dogs, rats, and rabbits---but I'm pretty clueless about birds. I just want to do this right!

Can someone point me in the right direction? Where do I find quality hens? Must I buy eggs? Chicks? Can I find good started pullets with show quality?

Thanks so much!

~Kelly

2. Don Jr

Don Jr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2009
    sumrall,ms
    You came to the right place for information. Any question you could possibly ask can be answered here by some very nice, caring, and educated people. And you can get very high quality chickens from members of this forum.

3. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    bishops chickens

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Sorry but how do you show rats? I have never even heard of that.. and [​IMG] Glad to have you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by