Just starting out

the4deans

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2020
I am located in northern California and we are just starting our chicken coop and looking for tips on breeds for my area and any tips. Our coop will be ready in less than a month and looking to start selecting chicks.

Thanks for all the help in advance.

Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.
If your attached run is completely predator proof (enclosed in 1/2" hardware cloth with predator apron and a solid roof) you can leave the just leave the pop door open. In that type of set up, you could comfortable house 21 birds. I wouldn't get that many to start as you will likely want to learn which breeds you prefer and if you get a rooster you may want to let a broody hen set some eggs.
I like an L-shaped roost over an L-shaped poop board with the board at counter height (34") and a ramp to the board. That frees up a lot of floor space. If the run is totally secure, you can feed and water in the run.
Good luck with your new adventure.

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

You might enjoy chatting with your neighbors here in your state thread of California.

As for breeds, I am a big fan of Buff Orpingtons and Black Australorps. Both quite health and weather hardy, great layers, friendly birds.

Make yourself at home here and welcome to our community! :)

Back
Top Bottom