Just starting out

Vandmkinsey

Hatching
5 Years
Apr 12, 2014
I'm going to place my first order of Black Australorp chicks on Tuesday. I bought a 50 pound bag of starter feed for them... I am planning on starting out small, only getting 8. I would like to have 4 for meat and 4 for eggs... What is the best type of food to achieve this? Thanks for the help!

Last edited:
images

Welcome to BYC!

You will love the Black Australorps. They are a great dual purpose bird for meat and eggs. They also make great pets too as they are very friendly and affectionate. You can use the standard chick starter for these birds as they will grow as they need to on this feed.

If you need any tips and hints on raising your new brood, stop by our learning center here on BYC for lots of great reads on all the aspects of keeping poultry...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

So glad you could join our community and welcome to our flock!

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

If you have never had chickens before you are unlikely (although not impossible) that you will have coccidia issues, so any chick starter should be fine. You can switch to a grower/finisher when the chicks are a little older if you like.

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your chicks! X3, with duel purpose breeds chick starter is fine and you usually raise/feed the cockerels like the pullets while young.

Back
Top Bottom