Just starting to consider chickens at my new home in North Hills, CA.

egoes

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 18, 2013
Hi, I'm egos and I'm seriously considering becoming a chicken 'groupie'! I just learned the reasons a chicken can lay an egg daily. So fun to learn. I' m researching coops, food for chickens, different types of chickens and how to help our friendship begin. Any suggestions, articles etc. you want to share with me, I would appreciate the helpful direction.
Xxx egos

Welcome to our forum!

You might want to put a general location in your profile (which will show in your postbit) as a lot of these things are climate related.

welcome-byc.gif
a good place to start would be the Learning Center. If you would like to see if anyone is in your area, go to' where am I, where are you," so you can post on your state thread.

Welcome! My best advice is to jump right in! Get a couple of chicks - all you need is a box, a light, some food and water, and you are ready!! They are very easy to care for. As they grow, they'll need some sort of coop outside, and at least for me, nothing made making decisions easier than having some growing chickens in my living room. I'm normally a bit of an over-thinker, so needing to get a coop in place quickly was a real help to me. It doesn't have to be fancy.

When making your coop, I highly recommend a poop board. If you search on poop board here in the forum, you will see many discussions about it. The poop board really works to keep my coop floor clean. I often see the ladies hop up there during the day to do their business, rather than pooping on the floor. Very funny! I didn't expect them to do that!

Back
Top Bottom