Just switched from starter feed… hens not liking it too well.. help!

vtrieber

Hatching
5 Years
May 11, 2014
Hello, I have 2 RIR hens, one of them just started laying 3 days ago (yay for eggs!!) I just switched them from starter feed to the regular feed… They seem like they don't like it and don't eat it too well… When i feed them in the morning they would go crazy for the starter feed, now they don't kind of peck at it and walk away seeming like they aren't interested with the feed and go out into the run and act like they are starving! Will they eventually eat it? I'm not sure what to do. Thanks!

Alright a first timer
welcome-byc.gif
great to have ya
frow.gif

Any change is a big change to poultry and you took away the candy and
now you expect them to eat what corn rice table scraps what ....

Have you considered soaking the feed in water for a couple of hours ????

Have you considered adding some rice to what ever you changed them to ????

My hens are 10 weeks old, and I am about to switch to a grower/finisher feed (15-16%). I still have about 1/8 bag of starter feed that I can't afford to throw away, so I plan to mix it 50/50 till it's gone. I'm switching them over tomorrow.

My hens are 10 weeks old, and I am about to switch to a grower/finisher feed (15-16%). I still have about 1/8 bag of starter feed that I can't afford to throw away, so I plan to mix it 50/50 till it's gone. I'm switching them over tomorrow.

The price of feed today ,,,,,, Naaa my gram-paw said never through anything away and yes mix and feed most definitely ... now your new feed has 15-16 % what protein

I would hope more but that is why I ask ....

Last edited:
I'm new at this so I'm just going by a pamphlet, "poultry nutrition", I snagged at TSC. It said switch to a grower feed at 10wks, which typically contains 15-16% protein, "which slows growth a bit, allowing bones to get strong and adult body weight to develop before laying begins." "Prolonged use of higher protein" could "cause "to quick development" and "laying to early". I'm just "winging" it.

Try mixing it 50% of each for a few days then slowly lower the starter/grower feed til they are on only layer feed. It wont hurt for a little while and will help the hens adjust.

Back
Top Bottom