Just to clarify...

Miizki

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 24, 2010
So I order some chicken hatching eggs, they arrive and I let them sit for 24 hrs to settle (Do I turn them 5 times a day still?).

Day 1-18: Temp: 99-100 F , Humidity: 50-55% , turn five times a day

Day 19-21: Temp 99-100 F , Humidity: 58%, stop turning

How often do I candle? I am still in the process of making my incubator but I think that I will be a still air bator.

Last edited:
I am a newbie, but from what I have read you seem to be correct. I see varying times for how long they should sit after they arrive. At least a few hours, with the point down, to settle the air cell, up to 24. When do your eggs arrive? Mine should be arriving at the end of next week. We could be hatching buddies if yours are coming then too.

Most will candle on day 7 or 10, and then again on day 14 or 15. After that, its hard to tell whats going on because the chick will fill all the available space and the egg will just look dark. Many 'chronic hatchers' will only candle once on day 10 to check for signs of life, and then not touch them till hatch, or when its time for lockdown and they have to remove them from an auto egg turner.

Me? I'm a chronic candler- I candle every 3 days until I cant see anything anymore. Candling does help- but be very careful!! Accidents happen WAAAAYY more often than you will expect (think dropped eggs and cracks from bumping) Once I thought an egg had gone bad,so I opened it to see where development had stopped. The chick was in there and still alive, and I had killed it. Guilt is awful when that happens. If you candle, be super careful, sit on a soft surface floor, and hold one at a time. I bet you'll be just amazed at how cool it is to see the chick developing, I know I am every time!!

Good luck and I hope you have a happy hatch!!

Quote:
Still air incubators require a higher temperature. I believe it is 101 - 102. (101.5?)
Humidity is controversial, and really depends on where you live and what your elevation is. I use 30 - 35% humidity the first 18 (incubation) days, and I up it to 60 - 65% for the last (hatch) days.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom