JUST TURKEYING AROUND

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by turkey crazy, Mar 16, 2009.

1. turkey crazy

turkey crazy New Egg

Mar 16, 2009
    hello just starting out with the whole farming thing some chickens and turkeys, tired of the medicated stuff you get in the store and paying more for things they do less to, anyhow is it ok to keep three turkeys with about 12 chickens , i dont want to get them sick because of the disease that chickens can give to turkeys, i have a coop about 10 foot wide and 24 ft long 8 ft high , thanks alot

2. lowcountrypoultry

lowcountrypoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

I would do it, but I have heard some things about Blackhead or something like that.. I dont have turkeys so I dont know...

But other than dieseases It seems it would work quite well

3. chickenannie

chickenannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    What breed of turkeys are they? Do they free-range?

I keep my chickens and turkeys in similar areas with no problems. But my free-range during the day and share the coop (sometimes) at night. If you have heritage turkeys, they often prefer sleeping outside anyways.

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I keep turks and chickens together, if blackhead is in your area then you will probly have problems, when I start turks I place some chicks in with them to teach them how to eat, drink. baby turks can't see very well. My turkeys free range they live in the pine trees havn't been in a pen or building since last may.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by