Just TWO egg cartons...

KarliRae

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jul 9, 2012
Hey all! Everywhere I go to buy egg cartons the minimum purchase is 25 cartons! We only have three hens, and we don't sell our eggs, but we need a couple more cartons to transport eggs and hold them in our refrigerator. I have tried bringing eggs to work and then asking coworker to bring a carton for me and they can have as many eggs as they want - but no one ever remembers to bring a carton! The point is, would anyone here who sells eggs and has an abundance of cartons be willing to sell me just 2 or 3 of them?

Karli-Rae

I get tons of them for just the cost of picking them up...I check on Craig's List and on my local freecycle. Why not give it a try? I think I have nearly 60 cartons at present :)

Before I even bought my chicks I told everyone I know I need cartons and every time I went round a friend's house I picked up whatever cartons they kept for me. By the time my hens started laying (6 months later) I had more than 1 000 cartons! I gave most of them to another friend who started selling eggs as well and neither of us ran out of cartons over the year+ that I was there and we both sold many dozens of eggs. Ask people you visit frequently to please keep their cartons for you and remind them or bribe them with some nice eggs
smile.png
I rewarded the ones who gave me the most cartons with some free eggs and they made sure I have an abundant supply of cartons. I even got a few customers that way.

If you don't happen to live close to those guys.... You can get just two at Tractor Supply if you live near one. They are 50 cents apiece. Our local grocery store has a egg carton recycle bin. I've been lucky and had someone about to drop 25 in the bin when I was there so I got them before they ever went in the bin. Also my co-workers do save and bring me cartons they just do it like 5 at a time. So I'll sell them eggs, sell them eggs and like a month later they bring me 5 cartons.

Why don't you just ask a family member or friend to save them for you? That's how I get all of my disposable cartons for giving away eggs.
What we use for our personal eggs are two plastic cartons we bought for a few bucks at Farm and Fleet. They are my favorite because I can clean and disenfect them once they are emptied. I'm kind of a germ freak though lol.

Thanks everyone, those are great ideas!

Cluckcluckluke, thank you so much for your generosity! I would take you up on that but I don't want to inconvenience you. I will try some of these other suggestions first and then if I still need some I will let you know!

Thanks again!

I get tons of them for just the cost of picking them up...I check on Craig's List and on my local freecycle. Why not give it a try? I think I have nearly 60 cartons at present :)
My neighbor who used to have a lot of hens must have a closet full of cartons- she'll bring me a dozen cartons when she picks up a couple dozen eggs!

Back
Top Bottom