just want to rant about my flock right now

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by rcentner, Mar 10, 2012.

1. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    [​IMG]
    Sucks, somehow I got Mareks disease passed on to my flock. Really unsure where it came from, but I lost my lil roo a few days ago to obvious mareks, lost a hen last night and I am not really sure if it was mareks or something else. Just realized this morning that I have an internal layer that has peritonitis. [​IMG] I try my best but GEEZ! I manage the MG that I got a few years ago so well that I haven't lost any to that in over a year and they are all looking real good as far as upper respiratory stuff.

I just am frustrated, waiting for these birds to get sick and die. I got the mareks vaccine and will vaccinate the whole flock, cleaning out the coop from top to bottom and extreme disinfecting will happen on wednesday. I hope this will keep the mareks at bay.

Just dug a hole on wednesday and had to dig another this morning and looks as though when the ground is softer on this upcoming wednesday I will dig another hole for my internal layer, unless the antibiotics make a difference and she makes a comeback. but I am not holding out hope, especially since even if she recovers I may have to deal with it again.

I put this vent here, not on the diseases one cause I am not looking for advice, I have done my research and just want to vent a little. I am exhausted from the research and worrying over the sick ones. Such is life I guess.
    thanks for listening

2. chickmama1662

chickmama1662 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2011
    I'm sorry you're having all these problems, right now! Hang in there, things will get better!

3. IsbelAcresTN

IsbelAcresTN Out Of The Brooder

Mar 2, 2012
    Good luck with your others! It is really frustrating when you work so hard to keep your birds healthy and for no good reason, something comes along and harms your flock. It is heartbreaking!
    I hope things turn around for you [​IMG]

4. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    So sorry for your losses. I dread the risk of loss,but I just gotta have my chickens.

5. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    [​IMG]

6. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    We all deal with this and it's never any fun. Sorry you have to go through this.

7. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    [​IMG] hoping you all feel better soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by