Just watched a video..5 things to feed your chickens so they lay all year...

Every one knows better.
Everyone is a chicken expert.
Every one. It is a very difficult for people that don't actually know to figure out what information out there is good and what is complete hogwash.

The simpler the better.
One feed.
For a newbie to BYC it is not easy to sort which member has more knowledge or which member is just a newbie like them.
Look at the information in the side of the comments including many members avatar. It has so many tags and medals and information that is just too much for a newbie like me to know them when I am still a newbie.
It is like the medals of elite army leaders on their chest, they are so many of them shinning that if I see an army leader wearing them I would naturally say to myself : I am sure he/she knows his/her stuff , otherwise they would not have given him so many medals . So I tend to believe what he/she says.
I have no solution for it but it does not there is no solution for it.
It took me a few month of being in BYC and 50 comments or so to pay attention to the name of the member and start to sort it out that not all the comments are valid or has science behind it.
Hopefully others are sharper and faster than me to sort things out but if not one simple or simpler gauge that shows me the level of knowledge and experience of the commentator is not a bad idea. Maybe there is such a thing and I am not aware of it,

For a newbie to BYC it is not easy to sort which member has more knowledge or which member is just a newbie like them.
Look at the information in the side of the comments including many members avatar. It has so many tags and medals and information that is just too much for a newbie like me to know them when I am still a newbie.
It is like the medals of elite army leaders on their chest, they are so many of them shinning that if I see an army leader wearing them I would naturally say to myself : I am sure he/she knows his/her stuff , otherwise they would not have given him so many medals . So I tend to believe what he/she says.
I have no solution for it but it does not there is no solution for it.
It took me a few month of being in BYC and 50 comments or so to pay attention to the name of the member and start to sort it out that not all the comments are valid or has science behind it.
Hopefully others are sharper and faster than me to sort things out but if not one simple or simpler gauge that shows me the level of knowledge and experience of the commentator is not a bad idea. Maybe there is such a thing and I am not aware of it,
Unfortunately, awards, 'like' statistics and medals aren't a good guage for judging a person's accurate knowledge. They may just post nonsense all the time, but the medals are for how much they post not what they post. They may not know anything but are humorous so they get likes. I've seen newbies do nothing but post in the the social threads and rack up statistics quickly but offer beyond poor advice for basic issues. It's not a hard and fast rule but just a grain of salt. :]

Unfortunately, awards, 'like' statistics and medals aren't a good guage for judging a person's accurate knowledge. They may just post nonsense all the time, but the medals are for how much they post not what they post. They may not know anything but are humorous so they get likes. I've seen newbies do nothing but post in the the social threads and rack up statistics quickly but offer beyond poor advice for basic issues. It's not a hard and fast rule but just a grain of salt. :]
Amen to this.
If non of these awards and tags and medals or whatever are an indication of the members knowledge and experience in the subject then maybe we need an award or tag or gauge that just does that. By that I mean the worth of knowledge and validity of a member.

I am a newbie but I bet the panel here can sit and choose a grading that makes sense and let newbie like me know the comment I read about my question comes from somebody that knows what he/she is talking about or is just a newbie like me.

Am I wrong?

Amen to this.
If non of these awards and tags and medals or whatever are an indication of the members knowledge and experience in the subject then maybe we need an award or tag or gauge that just does that. By that I mean the worth of knowledge and validity of a member.

I am a newbie but I bet the panel here can sit and choose a grading that makes sense and let newbie like me know the comment I read about my question comes from somebody that knows what he/she is talking about or is just a newbie like me.

Am I wrong?
Look for the "Educator" badge. The members with that have gone through the most vetting.

agree here. It’s healthier for the hens to give them the break from laying as nature intended. If one must have eggs in the winter then take a look at breeds that are known to give eggs despite less light (brahma for ex), freeze eggs during periods of heavy production to use during winter, or buy commercial.
Our Black Australorps lay all winter, even at below zero temps.

Back
Top Bottom