Just watched a video..5 things to feed your chickens so they lay all year...

Lainey-chick

Songster
May 7, 2022
It was on Youtube. She suggests Premium Cleaned Oats, Whole Corn, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Diatomaceous Earth (for worms), and Oyster Shell (what she calls “Grit” and gives on the side). She also let’s them free range and feeds them dog food in the winter for more protein.

She mixes the first four ingredients in a large can and feeds her chickens the mixture. She throws the OS in the run for them to find when they need it.

What are your thoughts on this process?

Last edited:
It was on Youtube and the creator was Becky’s Homestead. She suggests Premium Cleaned Oats, Whole Corn, Black Oil Sunflower Seeds, Diatomaceous Earth (for worms), and Oyster Shell (what she calls “Grit” and gives on the side). She also let’s them free range and feeds them dog food in the winter for more protein.

She mixes the first four ingredients in a large can and feeds her chickens the mixture. She throws the OS in the run for them to find when they need it.

What are your thoughts on this process?
Thoughts:
Completely throw everything you just watched right out the window.

Feeding a commercially made pelleted or crumbled feed is a balanced diet.

Feeding all of these treats regularly will cause issues. Scroll through the emergency section and you will see. Pay close attention to what people are feeding their birds when it comes to posting these emergencies for their dying chicken.

Don't just scroll through that section read all of the threads and you will learn a lot.

Horrendous.
  • I'll leave it to @U_Stormcrow to do a breakdown on the nutritional imbalances.
  • Oyster Shell is definitely not grit. Grit is indigestible rocks that are used in the gizzard to grind up food. Oyster shell is dissolved and absorbed to strengthen bones and egg shells. Both grit and oyster shell should only be fed "on the side" and not mixed in with feed so they can get as much/little as they need.
  • Food is not the driving factor in laying during winter (though nutrition is certainly important for overall health). Duration and intensity of light is a far more important factor. You can use artificial lighting to extend their laying season which is how factory farms supply eggs in winter. It is up to you, but many of us prefer to let them rest in winter as their bodies are designed to do. Personally, I preserve eggs when they lay most heavily in the spring and use them in winter.

The best way to keep your girls laying through winter, is having a nutritious diet, & plenty of natural light that shines through a window.(I do this)

The secret is the amount daylight they're getting, this usually is the factor for regular egg laying. If you remove most of the daylight hours(Winter), you get less, or no eggs for the winter.

Last edited:
I fround apon artificial lights, I let my girls take the breaks they need from laying. So, I get eggs from whoever's laying during the winter. Artificial Lights pushes a hen to continuously lay, without their usual break(Winter). Which isn't good for their health.

Thanks for your thoughts.

I plan to just let my chickens do their thing in the winter. The video just caught my attention because of the title and I clicked out of curiosity to see what it was about.

My thoughts: it seemed very lacking in nutrition and caused me some concern, but I’m no expert. The way ”grit” was explained was weird. Again, I’m no expert. I also wondered how this feed could possibly help a chicken lay through the winter, especially by adding dog food?? How is dog food any cheaper than buying feed store food?

I haven’t had chickens since I was very young. This is my first flock as an adult. I get my information online so if someone is claiming to be an expert, writing books, and giving out information online, I want that information to be good sound information so I don’t harm my chickies. I’m so glad I found BYC. I don’t have time to read every thread, but I do rely more on the information I find here and by asking questions than any other place.
Every one knows better.
Everyone is a chicken expert.
Everyone. It is a very difficult for people that don't actually know to figure out what information out there is good and what is complete hogwash.

The simpler the better.
One feed.

Last edited:
I fround apon artificial lights, I let my girls take the breaks they need from laying. So, I get eggs from whoever's laying during the winter. Artificial Lights pushes a hen to continuously lay, without their usual break(Winter). Which isn't good for their health.
agree here. It’s healthier for the hens to give them the break from laying as nature intended. If one must have eggs in the winter then take a look at breeds that are known to give eggs despite less light (brahma for ex), freeze eggs during periods of heavy production to use during winter, or buy commercial.

For a newbie to BYC it is not easy to sort which member has more knowledge or which member is just a newbie like them.
Look at the information in the side of the comments including many members avatar. It has so many tags and medals and information that is just too much for a newbie like me to know them when I am still a newbie.
It is like the medals of elite army leaders on their chest, they are so many of them shinning that if I see an army leader wearing them I would naturally say to myself : I am sure he/she knows his/her stuff , otherwise they would not have given him so many medals . So I tend to believe what he/she says.
I have no solution for it but it does not there is no solution for it.
It took me a few month of being in BYC and 50 comments or so to pay attention to the name of the member and start to sort it out that not all the comments are valid or has science behind it.
Hopefully others are sharper and faster than me to sort things out but if not one simple or simpler gauge that shows me the level of knowledge and experience of the commentator is not a bad idea. Maybe there is such a thing and I am not aware of it,
Unfortunately, awards, 'like' statistics and medals aren't a good guage for judging a person's accurate knowledge. They may just post nonsense all the time, but the medals are for how much they post not what they post. They may not know anything but are humorous so they get likes. I've seen newbies do nothing but post in the the social threads and rack up statistics quickly but offer beyond poor advice for basic issues. It's not a hard and fast rule but just a grain of salt. :]

Thanks for your thoughts.

I plan to just let my chickens do their thing in the winter. The video just caught my attention because of the title and I clicked out of curiosity to see what it was about.

My thoughts: it seemed very lacking in nutrition and caused me some concern, but I’m no expert. The way ”grit” was explained was weird. Again, I’m no expert. I also wondered how this feed could possibly help a chicken lay through the winter, especially by adding dog food?? How is dog food any cheaper than buying feed store food?

I haven’t had chickens since I was very young. This is my first flock as an adult. I get my information online so if someone is claiming to be an expert, writing books, and giving out information online, I want that information to be good sound information so I don’t harm my chickies. I’m so glad I found BYC. I don’t have time to read every thread, but I do rely more on the information I find here and by asking questions than any other place.

Back
Top Bottom