Just when you figure out who is female and male..

StevenW.

Crowing
13 Years
Oct 7, 2010
Central, Illinois
... you get the colored bands out and once you step in the pen they go silent and no one wants to buck-wheat or chi-chi! I even took one by one outside and NOTHING!
Agggh! So frustrating!

Oh and they like to mingle in together so I can't find the one I'm looking for!
hmm.png
*Sigh*

Quote:
A little over three months. They are just starting to lose their down from their heads and neck and getting their wattles in finally.
But when they can't see you they will be Buck-wheating or Chi-Chi'ing in their all day.

perchie.girl :

Quote:
OH my goodness artsyrobin Your avatar is outstanding..... did you draw that...

yep- i love doing guineas...LOL! they are so fun to draw and paint- mine let me get real close so i can see all the wrinkles!

well, luckily with guineas i don't think its that big of an issue as far as hen ratio, yours are just trying out their voices... maybe set of a camera or video? course its hard if they are all the same coloring...​

Quote:
Not always. Females can have big floppy cupped wattles and males can have flat pointed wattles (bad genetics)... and they both can have one of each! (Even worse genetics, lol). The 2 syllable buck-wheat or come-back call, or if you see them lay and egg are the only 100% proof positive ways to sex Guinea Hens. And even then, some Hens won't utter a buck-wheat until they are a year old!
he.gif

Quote:
Not always. Females can have big floppy cupped wattles and males can have flat pointed wattles (bad genetics)... and they both can have one of each! (Even worse genetics, lol). The 2 syllable buck-wheat or come-back call, or if you see them lay and egg are the only 100% proof positive ways to sex Guinea Hens. And even then, some Hens won't utter a buck-wheat until they are a year old!
he.gif

Peeps! Don't say that!
lol.png
With my luck I'll have one or two females like that!

If I have to sex heaps of guineas at one time I put one in a cage where it cant see the others then go and hide myself so it cant see me.... and listen. The girls will almost always buck-wheat.

My number one hen has long cupped wattles (not as big as the males, though) and rarely buck-wheats. My number two hen has flatter wattles and buck-wheats all the time. Number two hen is also bigger in size then my other guineas.

I've been thinking about getting bands and starting to put them on my females too. I have several buck-wheating at me all the time.

Back
Top Bottom