just wondering.....

ksct

Songster
10 Years
Apr 23, 2009
upstate, NY
My rooster crowed for the first time on Sunday morning for about 30 minutes (it was awesome!) but he hasn't done it since......
Normal? guess there's nothing I can do if he doesn't want to crow but just curious..... (he did crow this morning for about 5 mins at about 6am)

2nd
we don't have eggs just yet but i've been asked if we will be selling them..... We will be giving some to family etc depending on how many we get and the frequency.. but my queston is how much do you sell your eggs for?
Around here, I've seen $.75 - $4 a dozen. (huge gap there) I know I can go to the Amish meat market semi-locally and get brown farm fresh eggs for $1.25. (that's not a bad price IMO) I just wondered what was reasonable...

Thanks!

Mine do not crow all the time. In the mornings and evenings. Sometimes during mid day, but not much.

It really depends where you are on egg pricing. I would compare to the grocery store prices and go from there. Some will pay more for farm fresh eggs and some will not.

I would charge at least 2 bucks a dozen. The people that understand the better quality of "homegrown" eggs will be glad to pay a little extra. I also figure thats a fair amount to defer cost of feed to produce the eggs.

I would pay up to 4.00 a dozen for grass fed free ranging chicken eggs. But if they are caged and not allowed to free range then I wouldn't pay more then 2.00 a dozen (still healthier then store eggs)

Last edited:
THANKS FOR ADVICE. I WAS THINKING $2. MAYBE WE'LL START THERE AND SEE WHERE IT GOES. OURS AREN'T FREE RANGE BECAUSE MY DOG WOULD LOVE TO EAT ONE FOR DINNER AND WE HAVE WILD EVERYTHING WHERE WE LIVE SO I CAN'T BARE TO 'KNOWINGLY' KEEP THEM IN HARMS WAY. BUT THEY HAVE PLENTY OF SPACE AND GET GRASS AND BUGS REGULARILY.
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Sounds good. But chickens are concidered "free ranged" as long as they are not in a 4x4 pen. If they are able to run around in a big space and get exercise and fresh greens, I think they are concidered "free ranged". Just because they can't run the countryside....????? I think that your chickens would be concidered "free ranged".
wink.png
I read something about it in a "Country" magazine.

well i love the idea that i may be able to call my chickens free range! I just can't bare to be worried sick about them all day every day! I know the minute we would leave for work.... everything from a fox to a coyote to a coon or a hawk etc would be out. and we see them regularily and long before we had the birds. I would be histarical if anything happened to them!

And thanks for the info about the egg prices. Like I have said before, $2 sounds reasonable.... but if we're getting way more than we can handle.... who knows! lol. right now they're 16wks today and from what I can tell... no signs of any egg laying.....
any idea when that could start happening??

Back
Top Bottom