Juvenile Hawk - Need to worry?

GonzoTheGreat

Chirping
Jun 7, 2019
Just wanted to bounce this off those with more experience. I noticed a juvenile Cooper's Hawk (I think..definitely a juvenile though) on my fence a couple weeks ago when the hens weren't out. It looked around a bit and left, and I didn't notice it since then. Today we had the hens out and I happened to look at the window to see the hens reacting strangely....and there was the hawk on the fence...probably about 5 feet away from where they were scratching. Around the same area the hawk was spotted last time. I ran out and scared the hawk off and brought the hens back into the coop for now.

My birds are pretty big - with the exception of two Leghorns. My understanding is that hawks aren't going to go for larger prey unless they have to, and who knows what this juvenile is up to. With that said, I don't want the ladies to suffer an attack either.

I've noticed hawks down the street...probably this juvenile's parents, over the winter, but never saw them in my backyard. Did not notice any birds of prey last summer.

So is this the end of free ranging in the backyard, or will this hawk be moving on pretty soon? I'd build a larger covered run, but I'd rather not make a trip to the hardware store right now, and I like allowing the ladies to roam the yard. I usually let them out for a few hours and then bring them in.

Also I live in the suburbs - fortunate to not have a HOA, but the town does not allow roosters - so it is ladies only in my yard. When the hens aren't out, there are dogs, which I'd think would deter hawks too.

Hard to say. I think a hawk will survey the area before going in. I would be worried.
Hawks have great vision so they will know if there is a dog in the yard. I doubt they will care if there was a dog in the yard previously.
I did a search and sure enough a Cooper's Hawk will attack and kill chickens. I thought they were too small and only went after blue jay's, etc., but that is not the case.

Most hens will not engage a hawk unless they have chicks to protect. The hens will flee and hawk might go after one then. Hawk being juvenile from last year is effectively and adult.

I would pen up such overtly vulnerable chickens. The hawk will most likely target the Leghorns first, but the big hens could be taken down as well.

Hard to say. I think a hawk will survey the area before going in. I would be worried.
Hawks have great vision so they will know if there is a dog in the yard. I doubt they will care if there was a dog in the yard previously.
I did a search and sure enough a Cooper's Hawk will attack and kill chickens. I thought they were too small and only went after blue jay's, etc., but that is not the case.

Thanks. I know some predators will smell the dogs and avoid the area. I guess a hawk probably doesn't need to worry about dogs very often.

Most hens will not engage a hawk unless they have chicks to protect. The hens will flee and hawk might go after one then. Hawk being juvenile from last year is effectively and adult.

I would pen up such overtly vulnerable chickens. The hawk will most likely target the Leghorns first, but the big hens could be taken down as well.

Thanks. Guess I need to look into a mobile house for them or something. I'd still like for them to get around the yard - eat the bugs and stuff. Sounds like my state just went into a bigger mode of "lock down", so no trips to Home Depot for an expanded run.

It is a shame you cannot get a hennie game rooster that looks like a hen. The problem is it would still crow, but many would at first glance think it is a hen.

Yeah - we have a good size lot by suburbs standards, but not large enough where noise isn't a factor. I feel bad some mornings when the ladies are making noise in the coop, my one neighbor can probably hear it.

And it is a shame - I used to enjoy seeing hawks around. I think raptors are cool. Before keeping hens, I'd love to have one patrolling my yard to get rid of rodents.

I have kept chickens for 11 years and always had Cooper’s hawks nearby they tend to go for smaller prey like bantams or pigeons in my experience they will not go after larger breeds. It is red tailed hawks that pose a threat to chicken

I have kept chickens for 11 years and always had Cooper’s hawks nearby they tend to go for smaller prey like bantams or pigeons in my experience they will not go after larger breeds. It is red tailed hawks that pose a threat to chicken
:welcome :frow

We have a blueberry patch. One day I was out in the blueberries and one of my birds that was out was in them with me, and a Cooper's hawk came down not 10' from me and killed her. It didn't take her but did kill her. It happened so fast I hardly had time to react.

Back
Top Bottom