Kalmbach feed or Manna pro?

Ilovemychicks08

For nothing will be impossible with God-Luke 1:37
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2021
Wisconsin
Should i use Kalmbach duckling and gosling started and grower? I can get that at my local feed store. Or should i use Manna pro duckling starter and grower which i have to order online? I will be getting 2 ducks in the spring, they will be on it till they start laying then switching to chicken layer feed, i will add niacin to both feeds though. Any preferences? TIA!

I do not know about Kalmbach but if it is formulated for ducklings it should be fine. I have used Manna Pro. It is ok. Personally I prefer Purina duck for mine, for life. I would encourage you to rethink switching to chicken layer feed. Several years ago, my ducks were on Manna pro duck layer and my feed store stopped carrying it. They told me chicken layer feed would be fine. After six months I was as having trouble with rubber eggs and feather quality. I switched to Purina omega chicken layer with only minor improvement. Then, they started carrying Purina duck. After only a month or so the rubber eggs went away and feather quality improved. It has now been a couple years without issue. I will forever stick with food formulated for ducks.

I do not know about Kalmbach but if it is formulated for ducklings it should be fine. I have used Manna Pro. It is ok. Personally I prefer Purina duck for mine, for life. I would encourage you to rethink switching to chicken layer feed. Several years ago, my ducks were on Manna pro duck layer and my feed store stopped carrying it. They told me chicken layer feed would be fine. After six months I was as having trouble with rubber eggs and feather quality. I switched to Purina omega chicken layer with only minor improvement. Then, they started carrying Purina duck. After only a month or so the rubber eggs went away and feather quality improved. It has now been a couple years without issue. I will forever stick with food formulated for ducks.
Thank you! I will be having them with the chickens and was told by other people on here it would be fine to feed chicken layer feed. I add in omega 3 and other supplements.

Or would all flock with oyster shells for the chickens and extra niacin for the ducks be better since i will have the ducks and chickens together and heard that chickens cant eat duck feed.

Thanks, i really appreciate the info. I will be feeding manna pro duckling starter and grower or purina. Which no store near me carries so i will have to order it. I want a healthy happy flock. Do you have anymore tips/tricks for raising ducks?
Just remember they are water fowl. Especially when the brooder is soaking wet and you cleaned it just a little while ago. There are some good ideas about how to set up the brooder in the learning center. For example, normal chick waters are not a great idea.

I know there are some on here who feed all flock, hopefully they will chime in. It sounds like a good idea to me.
I would have to feed duck starter and grower till they are atleast 7 weeks old. I chose Purina its actually cheaper and i like the ingredients just a little but more than Manna pro. I would have to drive about 1 hour to get the feed if the order didnt come on time. Then switch to all flock. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom