Kat’s Journey into Chicken Keeping

My lot love coop clean days. They love having everything all clean & sweet smelling. They love to supervise & hate that I lock them out but I have too many tinies to want chickens underfoot ~ particularly when one of them is Olivia! That's a lovely set up you have for them.
Thank you. I think they are very comfortable in their home. They do seem to really love when all their bedding is fresh and sweet-smelling. I know I do!
They are so nosy and have to follow me around and watch everything I’m doing.

Baby ducks are exploring the world now.
DB52C1BA-6EEC-421E-A2C4-60862AFC3588.jpeg
BC5DE3DB-E9E1-4E48-9B61-B13A642221F8.jpeg

Hello, Bob and Sue, and All My BYC Friends!
I’m sure I am behind in all my threads again. I spent the day changing the litter in the coop.
View attachment 2724346
View attachment 2724347I finally got to use my new large flat bottom shovel and it was so much nicer to work with than that spade I had always used! Haha.

Oh, and of course there was an Inspector
on the work site making sure I did it correctly.
View attachment 2724358

I sprayed down the ceiling, walls, and floor with an insecticide that I picked up at TSC. I don’t have a lot of bugs, mostly some flies and gnats, but I like to stay on top of it.
View attachment 2724382
I left everything air out and dry and then I put their “furniture” back inside and put in the fresh pine shavings, and some straw for the nest boxes.
View attachment 2724389View attachment 2724390

I do this about every six months. I do maintanance every week but that isn’t as intense.

I also broom-swept their porch area, and raked the run,
View attachment 2724434View attachment 2724435

and cleaned out Princess’s little crate and put all fresh straw in her nesting spot.
View attachment 2724430
As you can see, she promptly layed an egg in her new nest!

Two of the other girls also layed eggs in their new nesting material!
View attachment 2724431
I am going to take that as a thumbs-up (or I should say a “beaks-up”) to my cleaning job!

My butt is kicked. (It was 87 degrees and sunny!)
That was as thorough a cleaning as I have seen in a while. No wonder you are beat. What a nice setup your ladies have. Including their own deck/ porch.

My lot love coop clean days. They love having everything all clean & sweet smelling. They love to supervise & hate that I lock them out but I have too many tinies to want chickens underfoot ~ particularly when one of them is Olivia! That's a lovely set up you have for them.
Mine also love coop cleaning day. They want to see what is going on and love digging through the new straw for treats. They always seem to find some.

Back
Top Bottom