Kate's Sassy Seramas

Pics
Sorry about the dismal hatch, best wishes for the current ones!
Could those have been carrying the creeper gene? Odd to lose them all, right at the end.

I still have one "failure to thrive" chick, now over 5-weeks old. She's up to 35 grams, putting on a gram or so a day. Probably should cull her, but she's such a fighter.

Hey Kate, are your girls laying again yet??
As of right now no they are not. I have only been getting tiny eggs from pullets just beginning to lay.

love.gif
They are gorgeous! Ill post a picture of their dad when it stops raining!

I have too many roos also! But that one is the only silkied one I have (some possibilities in the incubator though, and other than the chick that is still not thriving) The little black roo is much friendlier. That little silkied guy is a little demon. I work with them every evening, but he does not like me. Will climb all over me, but not let me handle him. He will take a single grain of feed from between my finger and thumb, but runs when I try to pick him up. Screams bloody murder going in and out of the cage! Maybe he will calm down eventually??
I have had a silkied serama like that. I had to give him little taps when he did that so he knew that he couldn't do that. Eventually he settled down after he got the memo

I wasn't able to get pictures because it has been pouring in CA! On a brighter note I got a little bitty egg from one of my pullets and I am working on building better serama cages that I can keep in my shed during the winter (my poor california coop isn't build for rain) I will update on that tomorrow after I get all the supplies. Sorry I haven't posted in awhile, the rain has just been crazy!

Quote: I'm especially happy with the black. Small in size, vertical in posture, wing, and tail. The other three are more interesting color-wise. I'll try to post pictures today if I'm not called in to sub. Rain here today, but at least the cold has stopped. Two more hens have gone broody and another to hatch next week (EE eggs this time).

Anyone know the effects of poison oak on eggs?. I got into the stuff a couple weeks ago while cutting wood, and since, many eggs have been DIS after being handled; way more than usual. Have to remember to wash before going around the birds. I've had good hatch rates before this-crud!

Last edited:

As the weather became colder it became plain that my tribbles feathering did not hold in heat so we brought Trixie and Dixie into the house to wait out the coldest weather. Trixie continued to lay eggs and last week turned broody; while in a 25 gallon plastic tub with a salad bowl for a nest.
Trixie's new chicks.

One of my favorite's. Tiny Tim at 11 weeks. Just under 4 ounces-any predictions what he will mature at?

My serama usually get no bigger after 12 weeks, but do fill out,

Due to his small size Tiny isn't able to handle the cold; he is now our resident house pet... until the crowing starts. A few of my roos crow softly so I'm hoping...

The little brat flies to me every chance he gets.

Last edited:
One of my favorite's. Tiny Tim at 11 weeks. Just under 4 ounces-any predictions what he will mature at?

My serama usually get no bigger after 12 weeks, but do fill out,

Due his small size Tiny isn't able to handle the cold; he is now our resident house pet... until the crowing starts. A few of my roos crow softly so I'm hoping...

The little brat flies to me every chance he gets.

Sooooo cute!
love.gif
Think maybe he is looking exchequer?

My little silkied guy is crowing at just under 6 weeks old, but he is with a couple other males, so I guess that gets them started sooner.

Back
Top Bottom