Katie's Coop

Broody #1: Josie's Brood 1 Week Old Update with Pics

Josie's brood is one week old today. So far it has been fairly uneventful.

I noticed a couple days ago that one of the orpington babies was very lethargic, so I pulled her out dipped her beak in water and egg mixed with crumbles periodically for about 45 minutes. She would eat and drink when I dipped her beak and every few minutes I would dip it again and she would start eating and drinking more on her own. After about 45minutes she was eating and drinking on her own and much more active, so I put her back out with her mom and siblings. She has been fine since then.

The babies have started getting their wing feathers in and I can tell one of them is definitely a frizzle. The pecking order is already being established. I have seen them chest bumping multiple times. I am still trying to figure out who each one's mother is, so if anyone has idea's that would be great. Also, gender references are totally up in the air. I just use what I refer to them in my head.

Daddy for all the babies (except the 2 orpington's) is a frizzled rooster with feathered legs (pictured with 3 of the possible moms, light brahma egg wasn't viable).
View attachment 2672933

Baby #1, Oly: He hatched first. He is black and white, has feathered legs, a single comb, and smooth feathers. I'm not sure who his mom is, options are a partridge cochin, a blue laced red wyandotte, a wellsummer, or a delaware.
View attachment 2672937View attachment 2672939

Baby #2, unnamed as yet: This one is a laced orpington (from Papa's Poultry) I picked up from a local who hatched her and her sister from eggs.
View attachment 2672940View attachment 2672942

Baby #3, Poly: Hatched shortly after his brother. He is black and white, has smooth legs, can't tell what kind of comb, and frizzled feathers. I'm not sure who his mom is, options are a partridge cochin, a blue laced red wyandotte, a wellsummer, or a delaware.
View attachment 2672944View attachment 2672945

Baby #4, Lavender: Last to hatch. She hatched from Josie's egg (Easter Egger). She is grey, has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and possible frizzled feathers(?)
View attachment 2672946View attachment 2672947

Baby #5, Baby Olaf: 3rd to hatch. I *think* she hatched from the Delaware's egg (solely due to her yellow color). She has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and possible frizzled feathers(?)
View attachment 2672948View attachment 2672949View attachment 2672950
Baby #6, unnamed as yet: This is the 2nd laced orpington (from Papa's Poultry).
View attachment 2672951
View attachment 2672952
♥️

The Garden and Enclosure

20210409_172726.jpg

The area where the chickens are used to be just my vegetable garden area. When I decided to get chickens, this seemed the perfect place to put them. The area is fenced in and they could take care of any garden pests. Perfect, right?

I quickly discovered this does not work as I intended. The chickens quickly decimate any plants I install before they can mature. In fact, they often stand right next to me as I plant and then immediately start digging up the plants. So now I have wired off the garden beds and the chickens have to stay in the walkways until I pull most of the beds in the fall. Then I remove they chicken wire and they have free run of the beds.

The garden area is designed with multiple raised beds that I plant with spring and fall vegetables. I also have a strawberry bed, asparagus bed, and black raspberry's planted around the perimeter. This year we added a greenhouse, and I absolutely love it. I will be starting fall vegetables seeds in it shortly. This year I am trying square foot gardening to try and get the most from the beds.

The picket fence is super cute and, since I repurposed it from another area of the yard, it was free; but not particularly functional for keeping the chickens in. If they want out they can get out (especially when they are smaller and can fit through the pickets). However, I doubt there is a fence that could keep the determined ones inside. One of the hens flew on top of the coop last year. I have discovered, that only 3 of the 6 hens (Josie - EE, Princess - BLRW, and Olaf - Delaware) were flying over (2 of those are now broody, so the third doesn't fly over now) and they never went too far away from the fenced area. I believe this is because Napoleon, the frizzle roo, can't fly so he has to stay in the fenced area and they don't want to get too far away.

The picket fence does concern me with the baby chicks though. They could easily slip between the pickets. I am also trying to figure out how to house both broody's when Princess' clutch hatches in 2 weeks. Currently, I have Josie and her 6 babies in the original little coop. I honestly think they will probably outgrow this coop by the time Princess' clutch hatch, but I'm not sure what to do with them then. The little coop is butted right next to the big coop with the runs parallel so there is a see but no touch situation in place. I am considering moving them into the big coop, but Josie was lowest on the pecking order and the short time I let the flock and mama and babies interact didn't go too well. I am also not sure how to deal with food and water. The big coop has a treadle feeder and nipple waterer. I could add a feeder for the babies, but pretty sure the big girls would just eat it all. I did put a crate under the poop board for the little family to sleep in Any ideas on a small enclosure I could add that would let the babies in but keep the big girls out, so they could eat and drink and get away if necessary?

So today I tried a little experiment with Josie and her babies. I let them out of the little coop shortly before bedtime to let them free range with the rest of the flock. It actually went really well. Most of the girls came closer to take a look but didn't get close enough to set off Josie.

Napoleon also came over and I was slightly concerned he might get aggressive (I have heard horror stories about some roosters with chicks) but he was a perfect gentleman with Josie and the babies. He has been pretty curious since they hatched. He has been checking on them throughout the day through their run area. While they were out free ranging one of the babies (Baby Olaf) even got right in his face and pecked his beak. He just lightly pecked it's head. Didn't even get a loud peep out of him/her.

I am keeping an eye on that chick though. Pretty sure it is going to be a rooster, which is sad since I can't keep anymore boys and I think he/she is going to have super cool coloring and feathers (frizzle).

20210520_103400.jpg
20210520_103310.jpg

Princess' Clutch Update

So I caught Princess off the nest today and took the opportunity to candle her eggs and actually get pictures this time. Unfortunately, I am not sure on the viability of 5 of the 6. Egg #4 is definitely viable. I saw that one moving. The others all seem to either be nonviable or significantly behind that one. I may need to find a couple day old babies to add under her so it isn't just the one chick.

These eggs are on Day 10.

Egg #1:
20210520_110719.jpg

Egg #2:

Egg #3: This one was kicked out of the nest and broke.

Egg #4:

20210520_110935.jpg

Egg #5:
20210520_111132.jpg

Egg #6:
20210520_111154.jpg

Egg #7:

20210520_111154.jpg

So we had a bit of a kerfuffle today. I have been letting Josie and her babies free range with the flock for about 30 minutes before she usually takes them to bed. Last night she decided they were moving back into the big coop. It was funny watching the rest of the flock figure out how to stay out of her way. She has turned into a fierce protector.

20210521_200121.jpg

Everything was fine when I went to let everyone out this morning. The problem occurred when Princess decided to come off her nest for her daily poop/food/drink break. She discovered Josie and apparently decided she needed to reassert her position. It did not go well. Josie beat the crap out of her. Princess' comb was bleeding when she finally gave in.

I ended up bringing Princess in to clean up her comb and put some neosporin on it. Due to the blood, I didn't want to put her back with the rest. So I moved her and her eggs into the coop I had Josie in. I really hoped it wouldn't break her brood.

She spent some time eating and drinking (mostly drinking) and then started clucking to go back to her eggs. I moved her into the coop part and shut her in. She calmed down pretty quick and when I checked on her after about 10 minutes she was sitting on her eggs. So hopefully we are good to go.

Princess' clutch update and Josie's brood's 2 week update

So Princess has definitely quit her brood. I got an incubator to finish the eggs she was sitting on. I still think only one is viable. We will see if it hatches.

Josie's babies are 2 weeks old and doing great. She is an excellent mom. Here are the 2 week pics.

Baby #1, Oly: He hatched first. He is black and white, has feathered legs, a single comb, and smooth feathers. I'm not sure who his mom is, options are a partridge cochin, a blue laced red wyandotte, a partridge rock, or a delaware.

20210525_091136.jpg

Baby #2, unnamed as yet: This one is a laced orpington (from Papa's Poultry) I picked up from a local who hatched her and her sister from eggs.

20210525_091100.jpg

Baby #3, Poly: Hatched shortly after his brother. He is black and white, has smooth legs, can't tell what kind of comb, and frizzled feathers. I'm not sure who his mom is, options are a partridge cochin, a blue laced red wyandotte, a partridge rock, or a delaware.

20210525_091328.jpg

Baby #4, Lavender: Last to hatch. She hatched from Josie's egg (Easter Egger). She is grey, has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and frizzled feathers

20210525_091115.jpg

Baby #5, Baby Olaf: 3rd to hatch. I *think* she hatched from the Delaware's egg (solely due to her yellow color). She has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and frizzled feathers

20210525_091055.jpg

20210525_091124.jpg

Josie's Brood 3 week update

A little late, but pics are from closer to 3 weeks.

Baby #1, Oly: He hatched first. He is black and white, has feathered legs, a single comb, and smooth feathers. That comb is suspicious. Thinking he really is a boy.
20210601_100513.jpg

Baby #2, unnamed as yet: This one is a laced orpington (from Papa's Poultry) I picked up from a local who hatched her and her sister from eggs. That comb looking pretty pink...

20210601_100716.jpg

Baby #3, Poly: Hatched shortly after his brother. He is black and white, has smooth legs, can't tell what kind of comb, and frizzled feathers. I'm not sure who his mom is, options are a partridge cochin, a blue laced red wyandotte, a partridge rock, or a delaware.
20210601_101541.jpg

Baby #4, Lavender: Last to hatch. She hatched from Josie's egg (Easter Egger). She is grey, has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and frizzled feathers
20210601_100529.jpg

Baby #5, Baby Olaf: 3rd to hatch. He has smooth legs, not sure what kind of comb and frizzled feathers. Based on behavior, thinking boy for this one.
20210601_100422.jpg

20210601_100811.jpg

Back
Top Bottom