Kaye's free range turkey thread

Had to give him half back leading to practically breaking even.
well, at least it wasnt a loss
idunno.gif

31 eggs. I have a new incubator on the way, so wish me luck!! This will be my third time trying to incubate my eggs. My turks are still laying, so I gathered what I could. We're supposed to have another cold snap, but after that, whatever else they lay can be incubated by them. Unless they decide not to go broody.
I also had to break up my Seramas. The eggs went through a couple of cold snaps before they went to sitting, so I'm blaming the weather. I have 7 OEGB eggs to try to incubate, so I wish I hadn't broken those hens completely. I should have just stuck those OEGB eggs. Pricilla is still trying to be broody, so if she goes back to the nest I might try that, but I don't know if it will work.
My two young jakes are going crazy with jealousy over Jacob being in with the hens

No turkey eggs from mine yet, still to cold and early. I actually use my bantam hens to hatch my turkey eggs, most can handle 2-4 of them. They get a good hatch rate. Than I pull them to brood them.

One year I let the bantam raise them. They did a great job, but than I couldn't keep those turkeys out of the bantam coop and the bantam became terrified of the giant birds in their coop, and I had to butcher those.

Anyways, good luck with your hatch. What do you do with all the poults? Sell them or raise and butcher them?

No turkey eggs from mine yet, still to cold and early. I actually use my bantam hens to hatch my turkey eggs, most can handle 2-4 of them. They get a good hatch rate. Than I pull them to brood them.

One year I let the bantam raise them. They did a great job, but than I couldn't keep those turkeys out of the bantam coop and the bantam became terrified of the giant birds in their coop, and I had to butcher those.

Anyways, good luck with your hatch. What do you do with all the poults? Sell them or raise and butcher them?

I got another egg since I wrote that post. If I'm not mistaken you said you were a lot more northern than I am. My grandmother lives in Ohio and she is a lot colder than here in bama. I'm sure you will have a good season when your weather changes.
And to tell you the truth, I haven't had a good enough hatch rate to do anything but keep them. I have the best egg rates I've ever had from my hens, so maybe this time I can sell a few

I get about 99% hatch rate when using my own. I hope you do too this time. You are that far south? I'm up here in the frozen center of Wisconsin.

Spring in Wisconsin doesn't usually arrive until April. If we are lucky the tail end of March is good.

Back
Top Bottom