Keene, NH Sun. June 14th, 2009 Chickenstock @ Agway

I am going to make the Keene, NH Chickenstock a CLEAN event....I'm going to invite the State Farm and Ag office to come and maybe do a talk on the tests etc.
smile.png

Quote:
I wonder if they would be willing to bring testcsupplys and do testing?
I wouldnt mind having mine tested or paying for the test.
Most all of mine came from tested stock , but one can never be too carefull.

I am assuming that all mine came from tested stock, since I got all but one from Ideal. (?)
Since mine arent legal. I am not drawing any more attention to my flock than necessary. That said. I would LOVE to get them tested. Just to do it.
Heck. I know Rhett is healthy, but I actually like getting the Coggins papers back telling me so.
big_smile.png

Really if you are bringing poultry ordered from a hatchery...you are safe. ALWAYS have them vaccinated...keep that paper work from the hatchery also...it keeps things easy for the state. BUT if you have hatched or swapped birds from others flocks and added to flock-you must get tested. Which is why I test!

It really is NO big deal...the state ag office sends someone out to do the testing for you! Keep the birds locked up...till they get there...then the vet tech will take one out at a time and under the wing take a small sample of blood. Then you get your results in a few days....along with your state NH card stating you have a clean flock. The tech does tag every bird with a number leg tag, also.

I have to have mine tested annually because I sell my eggs to the farm. NEVER has the state called and demanded that I account for any birds...or asking me about my practices. It's just about keeping US healthy...not necessarily the birds.

At the Keene Swap...I'll be posting on craigslist, newspapers that all sellers/swappers should have their flock documentation with them for the swap.

I'll be asking the State Ag/Vet to come and set up a talk for us on Biosecurity.

ALL good practices...BYC is all about educating!!

"At the Keene Swap...I'll be posting on craigslist, newspapers that all sellers/swappers should have their flock documentation with them for the swap. "

I think this will cause some folks not to bring what they have to swap.
I cant imagine that everyone thinking of bringing birds will have had them tested. And some people, like me might be flying under the radar of the town/city they live in. If I wasnt afraid of having my girls taken away from me I would have them tested yearly. But since they are "livestock" by city standards
tongue.gif
not pets I dont dare bring anyone in from the great(sarcastic) state of Massachusetts to test them. They would probably show up with cages to just take them from us. Have I mentioned how much I HATE living in this state? I guess I now have

Last edited:
Flock documentation is pretty standard at shows and swaps...

It is NO big deal really....the state will not take your birds ONLY if they are sick or carriers of something. IDEAL is a reputable hatchery...you have no problems!! Also feed store chicks are hatchery birds...so those folks are safe too.

Actually Dana at Agway is planning on ordering some chicks to sell herself.

If you are really worried about the legality that day...

JUST COME AND BUY and know that what you are buying is healthy and your new flock addition is FREE from disease!!
big_smile.png

BUY BUY BUY

I'll have soap AND chicks and a FEW EE laying hens!!

Back
Top Bottom