Keene, NH Sun. June 14th, 2009 Chickenstock @ Agway

Rhett&SarahsMom :

"At the Keene Swap...I'll be posting on craigslist, newspapers that all sellers/swappers should have their flock documentation with them for the swap. "

I think this will cause some folks not to bring what they have to swap.
I cant imagine that everyone thinking of bringing birds will have had them tested. And some people, like me might be flying under the radar of the town/city they live in. If I wasnt afraid of having my girls taken away from me I would have them tested yearly. But since they are "livestock" by city standards
tongue.gif
not pets I dont dare bring anyone in from the great(sarcastic) state of Massachusetts to test them. They would probably show up with cages to just take them from us. Have I mentioned how much I HATE living in this state? I guess I now have

I totally agree with you. I was born & raised in Springfield, MA and hated every minute of it. I'm so glad we finally moved to New Hampshire.... I totally love it here! (Now if we could just keep the jerks who make all the stupid massachusetts laws from moving up here and trying to bring it with them....)​

Quote:
Let me know if they're charging. I was paying at least $70 to have them test my 50 or so birds, but the last two years it was great that the testing was free. Maybe if a few of us in the same area could get tested the same day, we could save some money, since a lot of the charge is for mileage to and from Concord. I'm due for testing in August, but changing the date might be a good idea.

Quote:
I totally agree with you. I was born & raised in Springfield, MA and hated every minute of it. I'm so glad we finally moved to New Hampshire.... I totally love it here! (Now if we could just keep the jerks who make all the stupid massachusetts laws from moving up here and trying to bring it with them....)

How could you hate Taxachusetts? lol

I hate to say this but I think you may be setting yourself up for failure.
Not everyone can afford to have their flock tested, especially right now in this economy.
I personally have no fear and no reason not to bring animals from my flock, I buy from tested flocks, but I have no documentation of this. I have the trusted word of the flock managers only.

Posting on any list about"having documentation" to sell animals is going to keep people away rather than draw them in, I have no problem with it but others are going to see this as another attempt at Controling what other breeders do , I dont want to use the initials of such an Org but its boardering on being such.

Having a speaker attend is a good thing, forcing people who want to sell their birds to comply is a whole different ball game.
Might be a good idea to get a few more opinions first.
IF you have all buyers and no birds to sell whats the point?
I tried pming this but your box is full again.

Quote:
I totally agree with you. I was born & raised in Springfield, MA and hated every minute of it. I'm so glad we finally moved to New Hampshire.... I totally love it here! (Now if we could just keep the jerks who make all the stupid massachusetts laws from moving up here and trying to bring it with them....)

Way to easy, especially lately.

Yeah. My flock isnt "legal" And there is no way I am drawing attention to myself or them. Hence no roosters here.
wink.png
Plus, since I am no longer getting a regular paycheck since I lost my job. I do not have any extra money to get them tested. Granted I dont sell or hatch any. But they would really be living underground if the state "made us" have them tested. I am all for biosecurity. But right now the country is in crappy shape. Small back yard breeders are not going to have the money to test. Or show for that matter the way things are going. I know even some larger horse stables are cutting back on where they travel to this year for shows etc due to the fact no one has extra money for trying to get a ribbon.

wow cheap, what have you done!
hugs.gif

i just dont know, i know its the right thing, i know i dont have to worry about it. i wonder, with the state doing the free testing how many took advantage, seems its the shows, the breeders. and maybe not so many backyard flocks.
what to do, i dont know at this point

Quote:
I have to agree with Gypsy here. It would be nice to have all NPIP certified sellers, but many folks just can't afford the fees right now or are 'flying under the radar" as was mentioned earlier. Shows and fairs require certification, but most of the swaps I've been to don't require it. It may be better to have the info out there for folks to learn more about it, but not require them to be certified to sell. I think it would prevent a lot of people from participating, especially in a time where things like NAIS and crazy animal regulations are trying to be pushed everywhere.

Quote:
I agree that it's the "right thing"
But with the current economy it might not be the "affordable thing" for many people that, sorry to generalize here but, bring chickens(roosters) and chicks to these events.
Most of the birds I have seen at the past events are not SQ and are back yard mixes. Sure there are some from people that have tested flocks. And some that buy directly from the big hatcheries and then sell any extra's they might have. But there are also other people that do not.

Now. I do not hatch. I have no rooster. And I am not ordering any chicks this year for myself so i will have no extras to bring/sell. And I have been unable to find what I want at swaps and even the show. So am getting what I want from a hatchery. So this doesnt concern me like it may others.
But for what it looks like it will cost someone with a small back yard flock that has some chicks under a hen, to have the people from the states(NH, MA etc) to come out and do this. And then REALLY get on their radar! It just might not be somethign they can do financially at this point.

Great if you can ensure tested flocks be at the swaps. That is something we all want ie healthy chicks and chickens. But it just might not be feasible for what most people coming to these events have, want or need.

Rhett&SarahsMom :

Quote:

Way to easy, especially lately.

Yeah. My flock isnt "legal" And there is no way I am drawing attention to myself or them. Hence no roosters here.
wink.png
Plus, since I am no longer getting a regular paycheck since I lost my job. I do not have any extra money to get them tested. Granted I dont sell or hatch any. But they would really be living underground if the state "made us" have them tested. I am all for biosecurity. But right now the country is in crappy shape. Small back yard breeders are not going to have the money to test. Or show for that matter the way things are going. I know even some larger horse stables are cutting back on where they travel to this year for shows etc due to the fact no one has extra money for trying to get a ribbon.​

I feel really stupid or ignorant anyways asking this question after keeping birds for quite a while already but what needs to be done for a flock to be "legal". I guess I am directing this not only as a question for Massachusetts but also for NH in case I wanted to bring birds up there some time as well.

mine arent legal because I live within city limits and chickens are considered livestock here, not pets even though thats what mine are. Pets.
The dog officer saw them and left a door hanger last December about how they arent legal to have in city limits. I called and spoke with her that afternoon(it was right after the ice storm we had here) I havent heard from her or the city since on the issue. So
fl.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom