Keep finding chicks laying on their backs????

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Notebook, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Notebook

Notebook Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    Hey I haven't been able to find anything on this.. but a breeder sold me four couple day old silkies, and the next day my one silkie was laying on its back dead. The same day another one was laying on its back kicking its legs around, but popped back up when we put her right side up. Today, that same chick slowly got weaker and we kept finding her on her back. She finally died tonight, I dont get it.. they were eating, and drinking. Acting like chicks. What is this? Another one of them keeps laying on its back now.... help!

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    What are they eating? If eating anything other than chick feed they need grit. Look up information for Coccidiosis,some symptoms are runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood,depends on which of the 9 strains it is)fluffed feathers,lethargic,weight loss,not eating/drinking properly. If chicks have any symptom,purchase Corid(amprolium),dose for Corid 20% powder is 1/2 tsp per gallon of water,dose for Corid 9.6% liquid is 2 tsp per gallon of water. Treat ALL chicks for 5 days,do not give vitamins during treatment(interferes with medication)give vitamins after treatment is complete. Do chicks have pasty butt(poop stuck to their vent area)pasty butt if left untreated,can be fatal.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  3. Notebook

Notebook Out Of The Brooder

May 1, 2013
    Theyre eating and drinking normally, just randomly falling on their backs. I have Corid and treated them with it because I found blood in another batch of my chicks feces, they are eating chick starter. I dont want to lose another one.

4. erinangele

erinangele Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2011
    This happened to my friends chicks (coincidently also from a breeder). She would find them on their backs. She was feeding them a organic chick starter. She switched to medicated feed, and put antibiotics in their water. This fixed whatever was going on because the last little chick survived.

5. Farmer Viola

Farmer Viola Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2013
    Earth
    The only time I have found a chicken on it's back was after a seizure. Can you observe to see what behavior leads up to the flipping-over?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by