Keep from overheating (cross posted in Chickens) -- HELP needed!!

tleventer

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 18, 2010
I have a dozen 2 week old Australorp chicks and 14 turkeys (same age) in my brooder house. I only purchased my farm last summer but I think this is what this building was originally used for and it worked fantastic last October to raise 25 pullets. So far so good except for one thing... temperature! there's no electric in the building but I've run an extention cord from the barn to power brooder lamps to keep them warm. However, it's not warmth that I'm concerned with... but HEAT! There are 4 windows in the building, but all are solid save the 1 panel out of hte east window that is broken (this is where I run the extension cord through). There are also 2 roof vents. Our recent temps have been in the upper 80s pushing 90 and when it's sunny and humid out, it gets downright HOT in that building. I've been turning off teh lamps during the day and even have a box fan in the window so air gets circulated, but the chicks still seem to be overly warm (many are panting). Today is nice ... roughly 80 and rainy, but the next 2 days are supposed to be 90 and sunny again.

I know with Rabbits you can fill 2 liter bottles and freeze them to give them somethign cool to lay against. Can you do anything like this with chickens and turkeys? I can't leave the windows or door open as my barn cats would make lunch nuggets out of the poor chicks. But I'm VERY worried about them getting too hot. Any suggestions? My only other thought is to take out windows and replace with a wire screen... and if I have to I will, but that's a LOT of work... plus there's no easy way to do it so it can be re-installed quickly in case of storms.

HELP!

put a fan close blowing away from them (as opposed too them) to draw a breeze thru the brooder.

Last edited:
Quote:
I appreciate your thoughts. I would move them if I could, but there is no where to move them to. So they're stuck for now. this is my first batch of chicks (chicken or turkey) during the summer so unfortunately a learning curve. Just trying to make the best of the situation so I don't lose any to the heat.

Quote:
How big is the bin? I assume you're just talking about one of those rubbermaid bins, right?

I would probably stop the heat even at night, at least for the chickens -- I think turkeys have similar requirements but don't know. I would check the temp in there around midnight and around 5 AM; I'll bet they will show no sign of being too cold. I agree with the fan blowing out. I would also remove at least one more window covering and replace it with hardware cloth (not window screen, that won't stop much.)

Quote:
How big is the bin? I assume you're just talking about one of those rubbermaid bins, right?

A 20 gallon bin can hold a dozen two week old poults. I use the biggest ones I have for older poults. I am not sure the size. I do have ten or more 20 gallion size i use for everything. I cover it with hard wire or a old oven rack. Put the heat lamp right on top on the wire. Kiddy pools also work great. Try Toys R Us.

Put some hardware cloth over the windows so that you can leave them open. Run your fan at one of the windows, drawing in air from outside (on the shady side). That will pull in cooler air and push hot air out one of the other windows.

I'm currently doing the same thing. Ducklings ordered in February arrived in July. It is near freezing at night and high 80's during the day. My brooder is in the garage that will get 10-15 degrees hotter than outside.

My son put dog kennel panels across the roll up door to keep predators out, so I can have it open during the day and closed at night.

I'm out there every 30 minutes, turning lights off , removing the hood, opening the garage door, turning on the fan, and if it gets really hot, placing a few little ice cubes into their drinking water.

Then in the evening, it is close the garage door, then as it cools, turn on one light. Then the hood goes back on the brooder, and about midnight, the second brooder light goes on.

It's really not a good time of year to have baby poultry, but you can do it if you are willing to put in the extra effort.

Back
Top Bottom