Keep or cull

#1chickennana

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
What breed of chicken am I? I know I am a bamtam and a roo. Should I be kept or sold? If sold, how much should I bring?
69441_sdc15431_2.jpg

He's a lavender SOMETHING...want to say OEG, but I don't think they're supposed to have dark legs...maybe he's a mix. Whether he should be kept or sold would be up to you, if he's nice to his humans and does his job, keep him, if not don't. It all depends on what you are looking for out of a rooster. And what he would bring...well, hard to say without knowing what he is, but his feather condition is poor, unless he's moulting. And if he's a mix, I wouldn't expect to get more than $5 for him, and that'll be hard to come by this time of year when everyone's thinning out their extra roosters...

Self-blue (AKA lavender) old english game bantam.
smile.png
He's a cute little guy! I love OEGBs, they're a great breed. And I doubt you could sell him for much, right now I'm having trouble giving away good quality OEGB cockerels. (But as Cloverleaf Farm said, it's the time of year when everyone is trying to find homes for extra hatched roos...) I'd keep him around, personally, and if you need to find him a home later then so be it.

If sold, how much should I bring?

It's usually hard to sell a lone cockerel, especially this time of year. he's a Self Blue OEGB but not a very good example of the breed. At a local auction here he'd likely go for 50 cents.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom