Keep or eat?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by Lenadr, Sep 9, 2014.

1. Lenadr

Lenadr Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2014
    I've had my very first group of three turkeys (2 female, 1 male) for about 7 months now and I've been building up to the eventuality of culling them. But one of the females has started laying and now I'm not so sure I want to get rid of all of them.

The thing is, my turkeys STINK. Is this a normal deal with turkeys? I used to let them free range with my chickens all around my backyard, but the poop from the turkeys got so bad I had to pen the birds in their own area. Their poop isn't solid like a chicken's; all three of them have large, watery poops that really smell and seem to splash everywhere.

If I were to keep only one of the females, would she get lonely, even with all the chickens around? I know birds are social creatures and wouldn't want her to be upset.

Thanks for the help!

2. red horse ranch

red horse ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2014
    Buffalo Wyoming
    I agree with you about the poop! I got my first 3 turkeys this year and I was a little surprised with the liquid poop. I've had to close off my deck to keep them off of it.

I had intentions of making a meal of my extra turkey but decided to sell it instead. The $15 I got will buy a nice store bought turkey. After raising them from babies I just can't do that to them.

If you keep just one it will be upset for a while. But they make friends with chickens and do okay without other turkeys. I would advise to keep a female if you only keep one. A male might try to mate with your chickens come spring if he has no female turkey. They get really big and they could hurt a chicken. And a female will give you big beautiful eggs!

1 person likes this.
  3. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    Do they have access to small gravels (grit)? What is the protein content of their feed, and what kind? Our 7 month old's get Purina Gamebird Flight Conditioner. The only liquid poop? Too much watermelon, cecal poop (once a day), very hot days when they drink more water than they eat food. Otherwise? Just pretty much odorless, well formed "chicken" poop (if the chicken weighed 17-28 lb.).

4. Lenadr

Lenadr Just Hatched

Aug 4, 2014
    Ivan3, I feed them a mix of Purina Gamebird Growth and Plumage, and Layena. They also free range on an acre, so they should be eating grit, but I can't be positive. They've never had solid poop, even from the very beginning. I just figured it was a turkey thing.

5. LovedMyAlydar

LovedMyAlydar Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2007
    Kentucky
    That's weird about the poop. Ours is pretty solid. They get a mixture of stuff, Layena, Starter, Grower/Finisher, cracked corn and scratch grains. Pretty solid stuff comes out, like a chickens. Plus they wander where they want.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by