Keep or Toss Egg? (Pictures)

GothChick

Songster
13 Years
Sep 5, 2010
Wisconsin
So I checked on the eggs this morning and one of the Olive Eggers has hard crystalized droplets on it. It isn't wet or sticky and there is no bad smell. Should I throw it out or keep it?

IMGP2856.jpg

I personally would keep it. It looks like pale calcium deposits to me. If you're still concerned, I'd just crack it and have a look at the inside before frying up an egg sandwich.

Ok. I just don't want it to explode.

I'd just crack it and have a look at the inside before frying up an egg sandwich.

It's already on day 10 so that would a pretty disgusting sandwich. LOL!

It looks like pale calcium deposits to me.

Where would calcium deposits come from? What causes them?​

Just to clarify:

These eggs are in an incubator. Prior to day 10, you had not observed anything of this nature on this or any other egg in the incubator?

If this is correct, then these possibilities is what comes to my mind:

1.) You have high calcium in your water. Water in your incubator for humidity is somehow allowing that calcium to deposit on this particular egg. Perhaps it has something to do with the location of this egg in the 'bator or slight differences in the egg as compared to others in the bator.
2.) The egg is oozing. Does it have a porous shell? Doesn't really look like pinholes in an egg with things oozing out, but it is something to consider.
3.) Aliens visited, stole your egg, conducted replacements, then put it back while you slept.
wink.png

Just to clarify:

These eggs are in an incubator. Prior to day 10, you had not observed anything of this nature on this or any other egg in the incubator?

If this is correct, then these possibilities is what comes to my mind:

1.) You have high calcium in your water. Water in your incubator for humidity is somehow allowing that calcium to deposit on this particular egg. Perhaps it has something to do with the location of this egg in the 'bator or slight differences in the egg as compared to others in the bator.
2.) The egg is oozing. Does it have a porous shell? Doesn't really look like pinholes in an egg with things oozing out, but it is something to consider.
3.) Aliens visited, stole your egg, conducted replacements, then put it back while you slept.

Yes the eggs are in an incubator and on day 10. They looked normal until this morning when I found this one with the strange droplets on it. The egg looks like it is developing but is pretty hard to see through, but there is no smell at all. I think the 3rd guess is the most likely. We do have a lot of aliens around here lately. I told them to leave the incubator alone but you know how those aliens can be. Always messing with stuff they shouldn't.​

OH! I misunderstood! I thought you just brought this in from the nestbox! Eekers ok....I might be a little concerned about that egg too if it was on day 10 in the incubator.
lol.png

ROFL Obviously, I meant conducted EXPERIMENTS. I have a thing where I switch words around sometimes when typing informally. Dunno why -- no learning disability and I "never" do it in formal writing. I usually just blame it on multi-tasking. Perhaps I should just blame it on the aliens, too.
wink.png

It's not calcium deposits. Calcium would be white, these are transparent. Looks a lot like dried albumen. If somehow it is oozing albumen I would expect the air cell to be larger than the rest. Can you see well enough to tell?

Back
Top Bottom