keep the egg?

shstein24

In the Brooder
5 Years
Nov 30, 2014
Might be a silly question, but I'm not sure what to do...
I pulled the egg out of my coat pocket & found that it had gotten wet with snow. I patted it dry and stuck in the fridge. However, I've read not to was an egg with cold water or it will shrink inside & draw in bacteria. Do you think my egg is in danger of this?

No, not really. A lot of things are possible. A piece of space junk might fall out of the sky and hit your house later today. You might have a fender bender next time you go to the store. The sun might shine tomorrow. Some things are just more likely than others.

It is recommended that you wash eggs in water warmer than the egg. It is possible that cold water will cause the air cell to shrink and pull in dirty water through the porous shell by the vacuum created. It’s good practice to wash eggs in warmer water since it is possible. But the water would have to be dirty with bacteria and the air cell would need to shrink a reasonable amount before any suction is created.

Even if bacteria gets inside an egg, it has to multiply before it created any danger. An egg in the fridge is too cold for the bacteria to multiply at any kind of rate to create any danger in the short term. Just use that egg in the next few days and you will be fine.

I pulled the egg out of my coat pocket & found that it had gotten wet with snow. I patted it dry and stuck in the fridge. However, I've read not to was an egg with cold water or it will shrink inside & draw in bacteria. Do you think my egg is in danger of this?

It will be fine. I'd just eat that one first. Enjoy!

- Krista

I think your egg is fine.

I'd beware, though, of getting in the habit of putting eggs in your pocket---you'll get a pocket omlette one day
lol.png

i have gotten (pcket omlets, hehehe) i do find tha if like my hens like one nest i make sure boxes are clean everyday, then the eggs are clean, i do have a roo that will poop on the nest so i change straw everydat and shaveings under every 3 days, if i have to wash one, i eat it first, good luck,

Back
Top Bottom